Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just purchased a new caravan a Bailey Pageant series 5 has anyone had experience of towing a caravan similar to this with a 2004 Laguna II Hatch 1.9 Dci Extreme?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
There are too many variables to give a straight answer to that question. If you can fill in the blanks, then maybe we'll be able to help :)

1) What power output is your 1.9dCi? They did several, ranging from 95 to 120bhp (there's also a 130, but that came later.)
2) What are the published weights for the caravan? The empty weight (MIRO) and maximum laden weight (MTPLM) are the ones that really matter.
3) How long is the caravan? (Body length rather than shipping length.) This gives a good idea on stability.

Though as a rule, I think all of the Laguna dCi's will tow competently up to their gross train weight limit. How well it'll do uphill and overtaking, and whether you'll get much use out of 6th gear will depend on the answers to the aforementioned questions :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Towing with the Renault Laguna II

Thanks all for the prompt replies; the chap at the dealership where I purchased the caravan did a check on Towright? To confirm that towing weights where correct, he confirmed that I would be well in the safe range for the car but I have heard on one of the caravan forums that the Laguna II Estate the rear suspension was soft and I wondered if this was also the same for the hatchback.
I know that you can buy springs to stiffen the rear suspension and wondered if any other Lag owners had experience of this.
:confused:
PS my Lag is the 130 Extreme purchased new just before thay changed to the new model (Damn) have to look up the length and MTPLM

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Lancer i would think that 130bhp dci should be able to tow the van very well if it all loaded correct and the answer there is people on the forum that have changed there springs but not all if you have a look through the towing part of the forum you might find some answers there i hope this helps Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Are you sure it's the 130 and not the 120? I didn't think they released the dCi 130 until late 2005, and well after the introduction of the facelifted phase 2.

If you do have the 130 then, not surprisingly, it's best of the 1.9 variants. 300Nm of torque means it doesn't struggle with a caravan on the back, though with 270Nm, the 120 won't do a shoddy job either.

I'm towing with a dCi 130 and an MTPLM of about 1200Kg. 6th gear isn't just a possibility, it's a reality for motorway and dual-carriageway cruising. 5th tends to make more sense for single-carriageway A-roads though.

Mine's the hatch, and I've never had a problem with the rear sitting too low when I've loaded it sensibly. I've only ever had a problem when I've chucked far too much of the really heavy stuff in the boot - I once mangled the 12S socket on reversing the 'van up the kerb onto the front of the house. Since keeping the load in the boot a little lighter, I haven't had that problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts