Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me which part is the Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover? Apparently mine is badly split on my 2011 Megane. The only rubber part I see is that big rubber in the attached pic. Is that the dust cover they are referring to? I take it this rubber comes fitted already to a track rod right? So if I had a new track rod fitted then technically it should have come with a new one.

Attachments

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
40,414 Posts
Would still need tracking, .
He hopes now,, no undue wear in the inner track control arm, or the tracking wont be spot on..

Hate track rod ends, Then again I am that tight it would have been just a dust cover..

( On my car that is, on a customer, empty the wallet :grin2: )

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would still need tracking, .
He hopes now,, no undue wear in the inner track control arm, or the tracking wont be spot on..

Hate track rod ends, Then again I am that tight it would have been just a dust cover..

( On my car that is, on a customer, empty the wallet :grin2: )
:surprise: it was done at the garage. what will be the problems if there is wear on the inner track control arm? and how can you tell if you have wear on the inner track control arm? I'm guessing the inner track control arm is the threaded part that the track rod goes into?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,655 Posts
Further ball joints at the ends of the steering rack called knuckle joints, you can usually detect if significantly worn by braking gently then accelerating gently, if you feel a click that's usually worn knuckles at least on a FWD car. Otherwise you would need to feel for lost motion in the track rod as partner wiggles the steering wheel.

·
40,414 Posts
:surprise: it was done at the garage. what will be the problems if there is wear on the inner track control arm? and how can you tell if you have wear on the inner track control arm? I'm guessing the inner track control arm is the threaded part that the track rod goes into?
Really, and they did not mention tracking, bad bad people..
Did you ring back and mention it was pulling to the left, you would have had it tracked by them, if mentioned, and possibly at a cheaper price ..

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Doesn't matter how carefully you count, they never go back quite the same. Got close many times but never got away without tracking.
Quite, but one can get near enough to save tyre wear, whilst travelling for tracking. 1/2 turn is a lot, in this case.
When I Did Scenic wishbone, I insisted on a tracking check, As even if 1/2 mm different, it would cost in tyres. As it happened t'was OK :laugh:

·
40,414 Posts
I USE engineer's eye, as my mechanics eye is tucked.
Never more than the tolerances they allow out... LOL

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,980 Posts
I USE engineer's eye, as my mechanics eye is tucked.
Never more than the tolerances they allow out... LOL
Feck that, I'll trust the mirror/laser/whatever fancy gadget the place has.
Just never too certain about the pimply oik with blue latex gloves driving it in some places.

·
40,414 Posts
You have seen me then have you..

Did daughters Corsa years ago, Garage had just bought the new laser tracking system..
So Me had to have a play..

Took best part of a hour put right afterwards.. :grin2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had the tracking done. The garage took a little longer because apparently the opposite side track rod bolt was seized and they had to unseize it. They said it's not the actual track rod that seized but the bolt and that it was quite normal as it seizes with dirt and grime from road. Which bolt are the referring to? Does that bolt effect the car or is it usually only used to align the car?

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Had the tracking done. The garage took a little longer because apparently the opposite side track rod bolt was seized and they had to unseize it. They said it's not the actual track rod that seized but the bolt and that it was quite normal as it seizes with dirt and grime from road. Which bolt are the referring to? Does that bolt effect the car or is it usually only used to align the car?
Not a bolt as such, but a threaded shaft, which screws into the TRE. For adjustment only. So they rust solid. DAMHIK :frown2:

·
23,980 Posts
Not a bolt as such, but a threaded shaft, which screws into the TRE. For adjustment only. So they rust solid. DAMHIK :frown2:
Yup, been there, done it, got penatrating oil all over the tee shirt.

Usually, once the locking nut is undone and a few squirts of the old Duck Oil (other brands available) you can wind the nut back to clean enough threads for adjustment.
But not always, sometimes it's wire brush, heat etc etc.

What I've never quite understood is why you start with a vehicle that is correctly tracked, replace one TRE and the bu55ers want to adjust the other side????
There must be a reason but I have never worked it out. :frown2:

·
40,414 Posts
simples , allows them to charge an hour for really a ten minute job, for someone who knows what they are doing.

:grin2: :wink2: >:) >:)

·
23,980 Posts
simples , allows them to charge an hour for really a ten minute job, for someone who knows what they are doing.........
That's all very well but I've never paid by the hour for tracking, always been a fixed price.
Someplaces a lot more then others but if price is £25, don't matter to me if they take an hour or five minutes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts