Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Having a little nightmare here... I have a Clio 1.2 Dynamique on finance deal from Renault directly. Its a 66 plate and has been fine until January 2018... This is when the issue i will explain further begun to happen.

I could be in the car using just the electronics for maybe 15/20 mins whilst the engine was turned off and then leave the vehicle and lock, walk away. Upon returning after maybe 30 mins / 1 Hour the car does not start. The electronics work but upon trying to crank over, the message on the dash says 'Traction Control On' then turns off. This can happen once, twice... p to maybe 15/20 attempts. I then have to leave the car and call the RAC roadside assistance and they come to the car to check, sometimes as sods law goes, the car will start as soon as they arrive however after other times they have tried multiple things such as charging the battery, running diagnostic checks using their handy computer/laptop however even though they get it started they do not know exactly what it is that causes this problem. The last RAC guy who came out seemed to be confident its because the battery is still draining even when the car is turned off but when i explained this to Renault mechanics and dealers, they said they checked this and found no issues...

I have taken to Renault dealers (2 different ones) and both have said the same thing 'Because they cannot replicate the fault, they are unable to fix'. They have tried changing various components on the car from the Pollen filter to other parts (all foreign to me being a computer analyst) but nothing seems to resolve this issue once and for all.

I have reached the end of my tether now with this and just want it fixed. Does anyone have any ideas??

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
Bobby

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and it's really not good at all. I need my car for work now its unreliable and I pay a lot every month for what!!!

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,226 Posts
The original never had an answer and Bobby hasn't been seen for 8 months on here.
So whether he can shed any further on this issue ?

For what it is worth, his description on having ignition on for a while leads me to suspect low battery.
Which can trigger random faults and prevent starting.
No idea if this is the issue but has to be considered

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
1,665 Posts
Ladies, can I confirm the symptoms are the same? In the car with engine off charging phone & heater fan on etc then it won't start? This would suggest the control system is allowing too much of the battery to be drained. You could confim this by bump starting the car. If car is otherwise OK, ie starts fine after cold night outside I think this could be a feature you'll have to live with. Not sure about Renaults but Peugeots & Citroens shut down after say 15 mins in the car to save the battery and the only way of getting the radio etc back on is to start the engine then the cycle repeats. You could get the garage to measure the current draw with engine off & phone charging, heater fan on etc which would confirm the suspicion. Fitting the biggest battery that will fit may be the only option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, the same problem has developed on my Captura 1.5 diesel. The battery was fully charged overnight and the fault remains.
I'll be calling a rescue service, but from other's experience, I'm not too confident of them finding a permanent fix.

(Bobbysouthern created a parallel post to this one, but there's no fix confirmed on that either).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mechanic was able to start the car with a battery booster.
He checked the alternator was charging OK.
However the battery only gave 7.5v and 140a. Should be 12v and 700a. A new one will be fitted and should be the end of the problem.
Curiously, the dashboard displays can still work on 7.5v. It would have been more helpful if Renault had included a voltage test and relevant warning. 'Traction Control' is just a red herring.
Hope this post may help others in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well before I called the RAC I went out and tried again and lo and behold it started. I checked the battery and mine is reading 14V so it's not a flat battery. We have a trickle charger/battery reconditioner which I'd been going to put the car on if the battery was faulty. Priced up a battery and it was about £20+ cheaper on amazon than halfords etc. Car's since been fine the rest of the day! Time will tell :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have also same problem with Clio IV. So baterry sensor in dashboard it ok. sensor on battery is green, so it seem also ok, but is not.
sometimes follow all the rules and no result. Cause new car have many senzors and difficulty parts on it. Change new battery sometimes is solution.
Starting a car is important.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well before I called the RAC I went out and tried again and lo and behold it started. I checked the battery and mine is reading 14V so it's not a flat battery. We have a trickle charger/battery reconditioner which I'd been going to put the car on if the battery was faulty. Priced up a battery and it was about £20+ cheaper on amazon than halfords etc. Car's since been fine the rest of the day! Time will tell :/
hj just wondering if you decided to change your battery and if it made a difference? I’ve had the exact same problem this afternoon with my 1.4 clio dynamic 2015 plate and it now won’t turn on and it comes up with traction control on, powering steering fault, braking system fault.
Thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi l changed the battery but found out l have a parasitic electrical fault. Other members have sent me a YouTube clip suggesting removing each fuse and watching for a drop using a meter. I have since spoken to an auto electrician who told me this is a bad idea these days as it can cause a system reboot etc all of which Renault will have to rectify as they posses the codes.

Apologies l can't be of more assistance. All the best!
Ali.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, the same problem has developed on my Captura 1.5 diesel. The battery was fully charged overnight and the fault remains.
I'll be calling a rescue service, but from other's experience, I'm not too confident of them finding a permanent fix.

(Bobbysouthern created a parallel post to this one, but there's no fix confirmed on that either).
hi, just wondeing if you ever managed to find the problem and get it fixed? I’m having the same issues with my clio at the moment.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
No not yet. Have been told its probably an issue with the motherboard and only official renault garage can diagnose, replace as they have the codes to reset etc.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hj just wondering if you decided to change your battery and if it made a difference? I’ve had the exact same problem this afternoon with my 1.4 clio dynamic 2015 plate and it now won’t turn on and it comes up with traction control on, powering steering fault, braking system fault.
Thank you
Yes getting a new battery completely it sorted it out, RAC had to run it through a load of code clearing to get it sorted when the battery got changed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts