Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon serious question, my Traffic 2.0 diesel bought new in late 2008 snapped it's cam chain, offered Renault the chance to strip it to see why the part may have failed, note I did not ask for free repair or engine, just offered them the car to look at in good faith for analysis. They basically told me to get lost, or pay 12 hours labour just so they could gather the info. Like I said as far as my company is concerned it's a write off and at less than 4 years old and regularly serviced BEFORE recommended intervals I was wondering if anyone else has hadssimilar reliability issues or such a rude response from renault when things go wrong?
I thought they would welcome the chance to investigate premature engine failure, but I could not have been morewrong...
Any feedback will be much appreciated, unlike renault UK.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Early cam chain failure on Traffics is not uncommon so in my opinion I suspect Renault already know the cause but obviously won't admit it.

From discussions with a few mechanics in the trade the reason seems to be due to premature wear of the chainwheels teeth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
138,000 miles, serviced every 12-14K which works out about every 10 weeks. Used by a hotel to pick up guests and bus staff into work. The alternator packed up at 100K in minus 10 conditions in January too. And it ate brake pads apparently the discs are too small for the weight of the vehicle, known fault. In contrast my 1993 Toyota celica is still going strong at 219000 miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if my reply got sent.
Mileage 138,000. Serviced every 12-14K which was about every 10 weeks.
Used by a hotel to pick up guests and bus staff into work around Newbury. Alternator packed up in January and ate brake pads literally every 12k, bus too heavy, discs too small, known common fault.

·
Administrator
17,106 Posts
Not meaning to sound rude, but almost 6 times around the planet can hardly be called a premature engine failure.

Chains are serviceable items just like cambelts, but unlike a belt, there is no service lifespan, just a reliance on noticing any noise on start-up or under load.

I can hardly imagine why the garage would have taken you up on your offer; their mechanics are hardly going to work for free, so they strip the engine down, only for what - to rebuild it (again, for nothing), or give it back to you in boxes?

I'd suggest either a replacement secondhand engine, or shop around for an independent garage with an empty space in their diary, and a willingness to do a good deal.

HTH,

Paul

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
138,000 miles of presumably stop start town work , unfortunitly I wouldn't say its a premature failure i'm afraid.
second hand engine is the way to go if the rest of the bus is in good condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Having difficulty posting replies.
All replies are fair comment, if it was my money Id fit a recon engine.
Usage wasn't all stop start tho, we only pick up pre-booked staff and guests like private hire, plus we gave it a regular thrash up the A34 to stop it gumming up.
Average daily mileage is 200 because the hotels it serviced were out of town.
If these are sold as work horses and not abused, bearing in mind our old Ford Torneo racked up 180k before the gearbox went, I think in the 21st century we should expect more useful life from a diesel before it gives up without any warning.
My belief was that it was premature/bad luck and Renault UK may want to poke around for data gathering, I wasn't after a new engine from them.
Looks like reliability hasn't really come very far in 20 years when forexample my 1993 celica is still going at 219k.
Thanks to everyone that's shown an interest in this thread, if anyone is interested in making an offer for an otherwise fine 58 reg 8 seat Trafic you can email me at [email protected] and I'll let the boss know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts