Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help i own a trafic Dci 115, 2007 with 140 k , was running fine , startered on the button, no issues , no oil or water problems prior to not starting.
Brief outline, i live in france and was recommended a local mechanic to sort out, after 3 weeks he managed to take the engine apart and said it was injectors, but was not sure. I got the van back in pieces and got a second opinion. Injectors were removed and tested, all came back fine.van put back together. no change! Codes read and code for faulty cam sensor, ordered genuine part and fitted still nothing, then replaced the crank sensor, still nothing.Had third mechanic read codes, came up as ecu faulty.,booked into renault steelers. They confirmed ecu was dead and ordered new ecu , back order so 3 months later new ecu installed at a cost of 1000 euros, still nothing. They had no idea and suggest low compression! now out of pocket to the tune of 2000 euros, lost faith with 4 mechanics,any ideas before i either sell van as parts or fit replacement engine?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
checked key and immo, all fine, glow plug dash light stays on when cranking, will not fire on easy start. Checked all fuses and relays all good, checked exhaust is free flowing when cranking? Any ideas?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
What did first mechanic actually do, Apart from remove injectors
What size engine?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2.0 dci, 1st chancer could not get injectors out, so second mechanic picked up van,on lowlaoder , remover injectores, tested and all ok?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
Personally would take glow plugs out, and pour some engine oil down the holes
Then I would crank it over a few times, and then use the Easy Start

They could have all had a go with E.S. and now the valves wont seal correctly

Original issue , until you can get it to fire up, even for a few seconds with the E.S. it could be anything, from a failed Crank sensor to a EGR valve stuck open
EGR stuck open, WONT FIRE on E.S .
ALL electrical sensors dont come into it when using E.S.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had a chance today to remove the glow plugs, no problems, one is dead ,also noticed while i was looking for a dropped socket the earth strap from the gearbox to the body had rotted out, now replaced. Put 50ml of oil in each cylinder, replaced glow plugs and turned overa few times. Then tried easystart, nothing, sort of trys to fire on occasions but not quite. Have now got a compression tester to check values.What should i be looking for, researched values,and as usual many opinions, might plump for 22psi, how many times should i crank over for each cylinder to get a fairly good value.any other things i should be looking for?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, had chance to do compression test today, glow plugs out , injectors and pump disconnected. Well i dont know where to go from here, a got the following pathetic reading. cylinder 1 180psi,2 140,3 180,4 180 . Help any ideas, i cannot believe after paying four pros including a main stealer its come down to a simple compression test to diagnose the engine is knackered . As it ran perfectly fine before non start on way home from work one day, no smoke grey,black , blue or any other colour.of the rainbow .No oil or water use?

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
6,691 Posts
Don't give up yet - the exact amount of oil could also play a role in compression tests .................... those compression values are not necessarily "bad" or even an indication that something mechanically is really wrong.

I would redo the compression test "as is" again 2 or 3 times - make sure the throttle valve is fully open ................ this is to confirm cylinder 2 could be funky.

If more than a few compression tests all return the same results then obviously there is something wrong on cyl 2..............

Compression test should be done with a fully charged battery, charger connected, throttle valve held fully open ................ 10+ engine rotations is imo enough per test per cylinder (the gauge's manual usually recommends spinning the motor till no increase in gauge reading is seen)

Also - try to note the very first engine rotation's reading seen on the gauge per cylinder too .............

I am not yet ready to say the engine is scrap - perhaps you were not persistent enough with the ES - I really would have expected that engine to run on ES with those compression results ...............

If you don't have joy with ES perhaps remove the EGR and manually force it closed before you try with ES again (as @ours2012 already commented - if the EGR is stuck open it won't run on ES)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have redone com test three times, all coming out the same readings as originally. Going to check tdc, i know its chain drive but they are prone to jumping? Got to take it back to basics.. EGR, from what i have read is a bit of a dismantle job?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,691 Posts
Ugh - sorry for the compression readings then - though I would still not condemn the engine.

Unfortunately EGR is a bit of a job yes

TDC out will not cause cyl 2's compression reading deviation

What sort of oil pressure do you measure on the oil pressure sensor port?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason for checking the tdc is, readings seem very low from what i have researched on the net, after reading i need to see between 375 and 400 psi with 10% difference, i really dont know. Im no mechanic, but as i have already spent over 2k on pros and parts . I borrowed the com tester from a mate. Its like the blind leading the blind. How do i check the oil pressure and where?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With my land rover discos, i use to blank them off, lovely easy job with loads of benefits! Is this an option on the renault?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,691 Posts
The reason for checking the tdc is, readings seem very low from what i have researched on the net, after reading i need to see between 375 and 400 psi with 10% difference, i really dont know. Im no mechanic, but as i have already spent over 2k on pros and parts . I borrowed the com tester from a mate. Its like the blind leading the blind. How do i check the oil pressure and where?
That motor has about a 15 to 1 compression ratio .............. with ambient about 14psi at sea level you should be seeing around 14x15 or 210psi on the gauge

Oil pressure - unscrew the oil pressure sensor and screw in a manual oil pressure gauge there - spin the motor

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thank you so much for your reply and input. will have to see if my mate has a oil pressure gauge for that test. Will have ago at checking the tdc and then if thats ok ,deep breath the egr valve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
forgot to say ,another reason for thinking its the timing is when obd reading, keeps throwing up cam sensor, which has been changed twice, once with a aftermarket, then swapped out for a genuine renault part. They can not all be faulty. If timing is out then it would throw a cam or crank sensor fault?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,691 Posts
Yes sure ............. but that will also not explain the low compression obtained in cyl 2

1 - 20 of 80 Posts