Independent Renault Forums banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,575 Posts
Can you hear anything coming out of the exhaust, when cranking that is

You might have misunderstood the Oil down bore for easy start
Its take glow plugs out
Now pour oil down, LEAVE plugs out, crank engine over, so most of the oil has blown back out,
Refit glow plugs, now spray easy start

Got to ask,
What type of scanner are you using
If its a bog standard obd, then you might struggle
IGNORE cam sensor, see if you can see CRANK sensor data
Connect obd, get it on live data
Now crank, any reading off crank sensor
PS even if low reading on one cylinder, you should still have a running engine with 3 cylinders
IF you had two cylinders side by side showing low compression, you could say an issue with head gasket

you could, ( if you can rig something up )
Get engine at TDC ( Piston at the top needed on each cylinder here ) Force air down the glow plug hole
Air coming out of the exhaust, Exhaust valve Air coming out the inlet, Inlet valve, Water bubbling in the reservoir, head gasket.
Oil bubbling piston issue ..
lots can be done to check the engine before stripping .

Reactions: LvR

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
UPDATE, Had a mechanic that i trust check the timing ,well out,!!!!!!!!! chain really slack.Injector siezed in head ,so destroyed that to remove Rocker cover off, carnage, rockers, tappets destroyed,, cannot tell if any valve damage yet until head comes off. Need to cost up whether its cheaper to rebulid current engine, or buy an unknown 2nd hand lump.Need to price up for timing chain kit, head kit including bolts, 8no rockers, 16 tappets, and one injector, then labour on top.

·
37,575 Posts
Bloody hell.
second hand lump comes to mind here..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
does explain the low compression readings and the cam sensor fault keep showing. Problem is here in France where you would think a lump would be cheap, 1000 euros and its normally been to the moon and back, plus most are already out the vehicule so cannot hear running. It goes to prove timing chains are just as fragile as belts, and dont last much longer.

·
37,575 Posts
Thats about the same as here for an M9R engine
But doubt if you will get yours repaired for anywhere near that

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The price for labour will be low, the cost for the rockers and tappets is not too bad, then i have to cost in chain kit, top end gaskets and bolts, plus an injector ,but until the heads off i have no idea if the valves are knackerd ,let alone any damage to the pistons. If i take the engine swap route, can i use a 2.0dci engine from another model ie laguna,espace,or even froma nissan model as the 115dci lumps in the trafic seem to command more money and are like hens teeth. Even bare heads are big bucks, i pressume as the bloody stupid injectors weld them shelves into the head.

·
37,575 Posts
Think the only difference is the size of injectors.
So if the engine you get comes with injectors then you should be ok
If without injectors then you could be in trouble The injectors will need coding into the ECU
On these M9R engines the injectors are 1 to 4 from the engine to the gearbox ..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
update on my progress, top end completely rebuilt,Chain kit fitted ,new injectior in no1, she starts and runs, But, will not rev above 1500rpm, code read P0611,and code injectors. glow plug light and service light on. . Tried Snap on , Autel, and two othe systems,.Will not code injectors. Any ideas? Last resort is take it to the stealers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Curr
ently showing in ECU for all four injectors is A, the ECU was replaced by a renault main dealer who did not even enter the vin, have checked that ecu is correct for the van and the flash is for a M9R engine. No1 injector is the only new injector ,the remaining 2,3 and 4 were carefully removed and put back into the correct cylinders they came out of. The codes for the injectors are as follows, 1, 88LH5LG,
2 ASIX5IF
3 ,AIAO2EF
4, ALA27WF
Only query i had was on injector 3, is it a Zero or an O.
The chap with the autel system plus other programmed pc's with renault data is a trouble shooter for main dealers and he even failed to code injectors after 4 hours. Suggested i bought a new genuine Maf sensor , as he was not getting any live data. Replaced with renault part, no change to the van or my pocket. He never got the P0611 code, i got that from my basis obd reader. Van starts easily, will rev up fine on initial start up ,but then will not rev over 1500rpm, white smoke?

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
6,693 Posts
What am I missing here - why the new ECU for a mechanical failure?

He never got the P0611 code
Hang on then ............historical date is completely irrelevant for this particular problem.

Can you, remove and recharge the battery, reconnect the battery after about 30 miutes, again hang a proper Renault speaking scanner off the thing and clear all the codes and lets start from there.

If the thing refuses to rev you will be able to get some indication with a proper scanner I am sure - is the acellerator pedal input seen by ECU, is the AFM reflecting engine speed?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You will get an idea of the history from the top of the post, looks like many cooks fried the ecu, and the renault stealers just fitted a new ecu , no change and said check compression. Thats when i bought the van and took on the mess. Ok even though im in france , no one can repair there own make of vehicule. Done all the battery tricks. Even have a battery conditoner on the truck to keep it over 12 volts when any form of scanner / reader /computer is plugged in. Back off to renault again and see if they will do a home visit with there bit of kit and hope they know what there doing. Can not afford the spend £1200 on a CDIF/3 system.

·
Technical Supremo.
6,693 Posts
So why not take it back to the Renault dealer that did the ECU swap and insist they do the job properly?
Do you still have your original ECU?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The ECU was fitted last september for the previous owner, i have a copy of the invoice and the old owner had to pay fpr the old ecu to be disposed of. And shock horror its over 12 months from the invoice date, even thou it took 3 months on back order. I have owned the basket case since late march this year.

·
Technical Supremo.
6,693 Posts
Sorry I couldn't be of more help with all the questions but the history is rather important.

I have a feeling you are going to be wasting your money taking it back to Renault.

I would suggest get yourself a Renault-speaking scanner (eg AP200 white from Autel) and tackle the thing methodically yourself with help from here - fwiw that thing can also code injectors IF THE ECU IS ALIVE AND WILLING TO SPEAK TO YOU.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Bought an autel Ap200, talks to ecu fine, back with one code DF066, injector coding. tried to input injector codes, once again will not accept. The same as snap on, and all singing and dancing Autel system. Put my £30 code reader min and it comes up with P0611, looked that up and if you have this code it will not accept re coding of injectors . Any ideas or will have to arrange a home visit from Renault main stealers with there gear!!!

·
Technical Supremo.
6,693 Posts
IF THE ECU IS ALIVE AND WILLING TO SPEAK TO YOU.
ANY Renault speaking scanner will only work if the ECU contains the proper firmware and if it has been set up/configured for the particular vehicle and instrumentation present.

So earlier you said:

The codes for the injectors are as follows, 1, 88LH5LG,
2 ASIX5IF
3 ,AIAO2EF
4, ALA27WF
Were those the codes on top of the injectors as you read and printed them in this thread?
If so - what are the contents of the current individual injector codes according to the AP200 found in the ECU then?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yes the codes i listed on the thread are the 7 digits on yop of each injector. The Ap200 just shows AAAAAAA for all 4 ?

·
Technical Supremo.
6,693 Posts
Id say one of 3 things here ............... either the ECU is the wrong flavour, it has not been properly configured after replacement (your experience imo supports that) or it is screwed - as I said - if the ECU is alive and properly configured the AP200 (or indeed any other Renault speaking scanner) will NOT have any problem coding injectors

·
37,575 Posts
IS THE ecu using Injector codes
Check
Not a clue how to check with the tool you have

21 - 40 of 80 Posts