Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi all

back working on heidi again

can anyone tell me how the furniture (wardrobe etc) is anchored to the van as am thinking of changing the layout a little

thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts
Hello :smile2:

The furniture in my Leisuredrive is assembled with the skill of a Junior School woodwork class :rolleyes: All flat panels are fixed together with those little plastic joining blocks like you use for joining kitchen panels, and anything fixed to the bodywork seems to be screwed to one of the wooden battens behind the lining carpet, or screwed through the metal floor.
I would imagine most other companies use a similar cheap construction method.
I'd say go ahead and make your changes and figure it out how you think best. If you need to insert a new fixing batten then they are simply glue to the bodywork with something like No Nails etc You can buy rolls of self-adhesive lining carpet if you need to cover any holes you may cause by moving furniture around.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi renoir

i have located some of them joining blocks which do look straight forward, am surprised about the way they attatched to floor (just screws), as i was thinking that i would have to drill floor and use nut and bolt plus metal plate to spread load underneath van

sounds like i had tottaly thought over the top

the thing am not looking forward to is removing the wall carpet :eek:

but will give it a go and see what happens as removing things does sound easy, just finding the new fixing points may be a challenge

thanks

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,395 Posts
the thing am not looking forward to is removing the wall carpet :eek:

but will give it a go and see what happens as removing things does sound easy, just finding the new fixing points may be a challenge

thanks
I think it was DoraExplora who recommended a carpet supplier & I think I've saved a copy of the link somewhere (unless its been wiped off my bookmarks list). If you need it at some point I'll have a go at finding it.

Are you contemplating stripping everything out and then refitting it in a new configuration?

Looking through ebay campervans is great for inspiration with all the photos sellers put up.

Books by John Wickham are worth looking at.

Also the book 'how to buy and build a campervan for under £1000' is worth a read (I borrowed these books from my town library).

And of course You Tube.

If you are stripping out the interior it'll be worth improving the insulation on the floor and walls to make it warmer and more importantly to reduce interior condensation.

Its a pity Andy took down his blog site as he made a really classy job of his refurbishment but made the bed area 'easy to remove' so he could use the van as a general load carrier whenever needed.

It'll be nice to see some pics of your project in progress if you take the plunge. :nerd:

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi

not striping all out at mo just few adjustments, thanks for book sugestions will give them a look

will take photos when i get round to it, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts