Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,please can someone tell me the correct oil to use in my trafic van ,year 2005, 6 speed sl2700 I have been told Tranself trx 75w-80 but can't find it anywhere ,has it been replaced with tranself NFP75w-80 your help would be very much appreciated, also how much does it take to change.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
The gearboxes will need 2.4 litres from empty,do not fill the box using the overflow method at the level hole,just drain it and refill with 2.4 litres and then refit the level plug.

Personally I use Total BV Transmission oil in PK6 van gearboxes,the boxes need a light flushing out with a little brake cleaner before refilling.Many people will argue that it's the 'wrong' oil,but it's what the nice man from Total Technical told us to use a few years ago,and I have personally seen a PK6 box last well over 200,000 miles using this oil (the box had already covered 100,000 miles on the original oil from the factory which was changed as part of a clutch slave cylinder replacement for the Total BV when refitted).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gearboxes will need 2.4 litres from empty,do not fill the box using the overflow method at the level hole,just drain it and refill with 2.4 litres and then refit the level plug.

Personally I use Total BV Transmission oil in PK6 van gearboxes,the boxes need a light flushing out with a little brake cleaner before refilling.Many people will argue that it's the 'wrong' oil,but it's what the nice man from Total Technical told us to use a few years ago,and I have personally seen a PK6 box last well over 200,000 miles using this oil (the box had already covered 100,000 miles on the original oil from the factory which was changed as part of a clutch slave cylinder replacement for the Total BV when refitted).
thanks for that,just one quick question how do you flush,with brake cleaner ?

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
Once you have removed the level and drain plugs,leave the oil to drain fully.You then need a can of good quality brake cleaner and spray this in through the level plug (you will see this drain out along with some of the old oil and some nasty looking gunk etc).This will clean as much of the old oil out as possible,you then leave the remnants brake cleaner to evaporate,squeeze in a little new oil,allow this to drain out and then refit the drain plug (complete with a new washer seal) and fill with the 2.4 litres of new oil.Refit the level plug,take the van on a short road test,re-check for any leaks and jobs a good 'un.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once you have removed the level and drain plugs,leave the oil to drain fully.You then need a can of good quality brake cleaner and spray this in through the level plug (you will see this drain out along with some of the old oil and some nasty looking gunk etc).This will clean as much of the old oil out as possible,you then leave the remnants brake cleaner to evaporate,squeeze in a little new oil,allow this to drain out and then refit the drain plug (complete with a new washer seal) and fill with the 2.4 litres of new oil.Refit the level plug,take the van on a short road test,re-check for any leaks and jobs a good 'un.:)
Brilliant, thank you very helpful

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.