Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've brought a Renault Trafic 2004 on a 54 plate. The gearbox come away from the engine and dumped the oil on the floor. I was recovered and taken home but once getting under it i noticed the gearbox doesn't line up with the engine, looks like the previous owner had forced two bolts in to hold it together.
I have found out i should have a PK6025 gearbox but not sure how to find out what one is currently in it? Any ideas anyone?
Does it sound like its time for a new gearbox? Has this happened to anybody else?
Maybe someone could help me before Renault force me to remortgage to pay the repair bill!

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,834 Posts
Re: Trafic Gearbox problems HELP!

I dont know those gearboxes, but if it is misaligned with the engine and it dumped oil, you are probably in for a major surgery

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

If the clutch and gearbox were operating ok I can't see that there could be that much missmatch. You only normally need the slightest variation from normal to give clutch problems. Is the gearbox a five or six-speed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for replying, its a 6speed and all 6 gears worked fine before this slight mishap! The clutch also worked as it should, so im thinking if the bolts had never fallen out then there wouldnt be an issue??

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

That's what I'm thinking exactly. As far as I know although there are different varieties of gearbox all the six speeds are externally similar. I can only assume someone's had the gearbox off to do the clutch or something and not tightened the bolts properly. It does happen (more than you might think!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I now have the gear box off the van, but does anyone know how i find out what model it is? I have a new clutch kit and concentric slave cylinder, I've been told both of these should be replaced while the gearbox is out? Is this true? I'm wishing I'd brought a transit!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Don't think you have a DMF on that. Transit fwd uses concentric as well, rwd has DMF so no better off. I really don't think you can have the wrong gearbox in there, but there should be a tag on there somewhere, or a No. stamped on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive been told as it is front wheel drive it doesn't have a dual mass flywheel, if this is the right gearbox then is there any reason why it has dumped the oil out? or would every gear box do this if it had come away from the engine? Sorry if i sound thick, I'm new to messing about with motors but in these money tight days i need to DIY rather than get ripped off by a garage.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Fwd has no bearing on whether it's got a dmf, the laguna shares this engine and box and has a dmf, the van does'nt. The gearbox will dump oil because the driveshafts will pull out, That's assuming there's no holes in it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will upload some pictures later, but the gearbox is a PK6025 like it should be, the housing has no holes are splits, i have have a look at the spline and that looks to be OK, no teeth are missing or worn down, does anyone have any idea what the next stage would be? Does anyone think it would be a bad idea to try refit the box and see what happens or is there anything else i need to do before doing this?
When it come to refilling with oil how much oil does it need? and is it just a standard gear box oil?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
no its very special oil and you need to fill it very accurately. its the same gearbox for the Laguna 2 an the Haynes for that says 2.2 litres of elf tranself TRP 75W/80W gear oil. if you can empty the box completely and measure and fill it by volume accurately, you should be ok. if you need to do it by level, you need Renault tool B.VI.1675. but no one i know outside a dealership has managed to get hold of one. SO TOPPING UP A PK6 GEARBOX IS A DEALERSHIP JOB. if you search about Laguna 2 gearboxes, you'll find lots of info on pk6 boxes.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Once you've put a new clutch on then I would refit the box and hopefully all will be well. I have doubts about how special the elf oil really is (I'll now be inundated with furious posts telling me I'm an idiot) but obviously the correct grade is essential. It always puzzles me why Renault decided to put the filler in a position where you could overfill the gearbox! I personally think that the whole special Elf oil thing is a marketing exercise, similar to that done by Alfa Romeo with Selenia oil. The 6-speed gearbox is an unusual design (it has 3 shafts instead of 2) but the bearings in it are the same as any other gearbox. I should add that this is only my opinion and you should always follow manufacturers instructions.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
fc, there used to be loads of people that thought like that, they ended up popping their gearbox, either by overfilling them or by using the wrong oil. imo its not worth using anything else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New clutch and concentric slave cylinder are now both fitted! one quick question, how do i make sure the gear box is empty of all its oil? Now another problem i have come across is cause all the bolts have fallen out i thought i best get them from Renault. Ive just opened the packet and they are the bolts which hold the 2 parts of the gearbox together and not the ones for holding the gearbox to the engine where the clutch is! anyone know what bolts these should be? I'll add some pictures in a min, cheers for all your help guys.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
sorry mate ive not had the pleasure of working on a pk6 box so i don't know. still, as i have 2 vehicles in the house hold with pk6's one with 50kmiles and one with 90k miles, im sure it wont be many years before im taking one off...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.