Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an issue and I am unsure where to go for more info.

I purchased a van a few days ago and decided to install a reversing camera.

Whilst trying to route the cable through the rear-door , through the flexi-tube and then up to the brake-light at the top, A few electrical issues have presented themselves.

1) central locking actuator stopped working on the rear door.
2) window winders for front doors stopped responding
3) reverse light stopped working.

I am not aware of casuing any disruption/damage whilst threading the cabling through the door but it is possible that I shorted the reverse-light to ground when trying to find a suitable supply to power the reverse-camera.

the fuses for windows are good. fuses for reverse light/fog light are good

I don;t know what else to test

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
Check ALL the Fuses in the Passenger Cup holder box.
Wierd wiring on these.
Don't just look, Meter them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check ALL the Fuses in the Passenger Cup holder box.
Wierd wiring on these.
Don't just look, Meter them.

I have already done this. Checked every single fuse with a continuity testing meter. No luck.

However, I am hearing a relay click, from behind the dash/steering cowling, when I try the drivers side door window button. I hear the click but windows dont open.
ALSO, another issue I hadn;t realised was that my wipers aren;t working either.

My gut feeling here is that I have fluffed the BCM. Can anyone confirm/deny, based on my symptoms? I've just managed to gain access to the engine bay fusebox. Might it be a fuse/relay here instead?

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
OK. Now check The Under Bonnet Fuses.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. Now check The Under Bonnet Fuses.

I will do this tomorrow however I notice that they're all over 40A rated. When I might have shorted the reserse-lamp, it would have been with a single strand of Cat6 cable which would not have been able to pull 2A let alone 40A.

My prediction is that all fuses there will still be good too but I will report back tomorrow with an update

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will do this tomorrow however I notice that they're all over 40A rated. When I might have shorted the reserse-lamp, it would have been with a single strand of Cat6 cable which would not have been able to pull 2A let alone 40A.

My prediction is that all fuses there will still be good too but I will report back tomorrow with an update

All of these huge fuses are still good.
I was informed after posting my original enquirey that my friend tested continuity across the reverse lamp socket using a 9v multimeter. That fact adds to my gut feeling that it is the BCM that is faulty. I have ordered a OPCOM cable from amazon on same-day delivery so will have findings from that to share later

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
All of these huge fuses are still good.
I was informed after posting my original enquirey that my friend tested continuity across the reverse lamp socket using a 9v multimeter. That fact adds to my gut feeling that it is the BCM that is faulty. I have ordered a OPCOM cable from amazon on same-day delivery so will have findings from that to share later
But the Reverse light circuit goes nowhere near the BCM.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
43,023 Posts
Check if Brake lights are working, if yes, not the fuse... as this for the reverse also

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check if Brake lights are working, if yes, not the fuse... as this for the reverse also

I believe the brake light works but I will check this later when I have someone to stand behind the van and check.

I definitely have bcm/ecu faults though as this is what I see from OPCOM (see attached photo). Could this just be a huge coincidence that all this happened whilst I was working at the rear of the van?

Attachments

·
43,023 Posts
You can clear all them, nothing do with your issue..
Someone has fitted ( Possibly ) another cluster , siren again, good chance its that, disconnected, or battery inside has had it ....
Thats your alarm system..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can clear all them, nothing do with your issue..
Someone has fitted ( Possibly ) another cluster , siren again, good chance its that, disconnected, or battery inside has had it ....
Thats your alarm system..
This is a reconditioned engine that was fitted that's all the details I have regarding that engine swap unfortunately

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,635 Posts
generally on an engine swap they keep in place all the electonics from the main vehicle and just the engine from the donor vehicle, it saves reprogramming everything to the new electronics package

·
43,023 Posts
How many wires are in the door hinge boot..
2 for the lock, 2 for the top brake light, ..
2 for door handle switch, 2 for interior lights,.
2 for number plate bulbs.
Anything else powered from inside this

The wires you threaded through, is it the yellow aux lead with the black and red switch wiring for the camera ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many wires are in the door hinge boot..
2 for the lock, 2 for the top brake light, ..
2 for door handle switch, 2 for interior lights,.
2 for number plate bulbs.
Anything else powered from inside this

The wires you threaded through, is it the yellow aux lead with the black and red switch wiring for the camera ???
The reverse camera isn;t connected to power at the moment. It has only been powered from a 12v PSU. It's usilizing these style of connectors, the 12v is fed to the camera and then piggybacks out to the screen using cable similar to this show, along with signal to the screen. https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61YV4TZw0xL._SX425_.jpg

I'll check the cables to the door over the weekend. I had been thinking that I have heard stories before of wierd glitches happen when strange cables are shorted to ground. I'm going to rule those cables out by cutting them out of the equation and then rejoining them one at a time.

·
43,023 Posts
How many wires have you joined, just the two,. Red and black..

And to what ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many wires have you joined, just the two,. Red and black..

And to what ...
I've not joined any errors to anything yet.
I was about to join red to 12v+ from brake light and black to gnd but I noticed that problems were showing before I did so.

The camera is disconnected and has only been powered from a 12v5A "wall wart" PSU

·
43,023 Posts
Nothing has been touched as such yet then,,

Why are you using third brake light for reversing camera?

Re check fuse 19 and 20 in the interior fuse box, check for power,
Need to know if power is actually at the fuses..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I am not trying to take power from the brake light
I was trying to take power from the revers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

I am not trying to take power from the brake light
I was trying to take power from the revers
I've now returned home. I've disconnected the cable-connector-clip near the rubber-hose\boot to the door. The issues are still present, namely lack of wipers and window-winders. The engine still starts though and my key fob unlocks\locks the doors and sounds the alarm bleep as it should.

I'll check fuses 19&20 momentarily and report back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts