Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
My 2.0 Trafic is refusing to start. When I switch it on the immobiliser light does not extinguish and the heater plug light does not come on at all. It will crank over just fine but makes no attempt to fire. I have tried a new glow plug relay to no avail but this was before I noticed the immobiliser light staying on. Tried both keys, which were both working before all this with no sucess.
Pretty sure its an immobiliser issue (based on nothing more than gut feeling).
Any suggestions much apprieciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try 30 seconds trick (ignition on for 30 sec, then off for a sec and then back on, it worked for me). I would check the fuse box in the engine as it was raining a lot last days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Just tried both your suggestions but no luck. I must say thats a pretty skimpy earth wire if its the only thing grounding the engine. On the point about water this happened after I washed the van. It did start immediately after washing but wouldn't start the next morning. I checked the engine bay fusebox but all seems ok in there. Is there a diagram anywhere for these fuses and relays? There's nothing on the fusebox lid or in my manual as to what each fuse/relay controls.
Also does anyone know is there an "emergency code" for the immobiliser. I've seen mention of entering a code via the dashboard central locking switch but it seemed to be for older models, mine is a 2007.
Again, most grateful for any suggestions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
From what I know, immobiliser and heater plugs have only 2 places where they "meet". First is fuse box which you said you have checked and another one is ECU.

If you really believe it's immobiliser fault, then you could also check immobiliser unit which you'll find under the speedo. It's a black box with lots of wires.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
FIXED. Broken wire in loom.
Glad you got it fixed.

Any chance of a few more details that may help others if they have the same problem.

How did you find the broken wire?

Which wire and where it was located?

Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TTT,
Unfortunately I didn't get talking to the guy who actually worked on the van so I couldn't point out the exact problem. I do know however, that when he plugged in the diagnostic computer he couldn't get access to the ECU. He then proceded to remove the ECU so he could check if it had the permanant power it should have. I can only assume he found fault here. He did strip a wiring loom where a broken wire was found.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
2,063 Posts
Thanks for the info you've given :cool:

I thought you had found the broken wire that's why I asked.

Your experience of a broken wire may help others as a lot of the time people just assume it will be some sensor or something and don't think to check the wiring.

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,680 Posts
Nice one and thanks for feedback.

And to echo what TTT says.
It's very nice to always think that it's a clean fix with swapping the sensor or valve.... but the wires to and fro are also needed. :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my van off the road now for 7 months. In fairness it is only a weekend used van.But i have been scratching my head, racking my brain. My symptoms are exactly the same immobiliser light on permantly. No glow plug light. have changed many parts now. No one can get there diagnostic machine to comunicate with the ECU. I would LOVE to no where this broken wires is. As i have suspision there is a broken wire somewhere. Please HELP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts