Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Hope someone on here can help? My Dad purchased a 2018 Koleos last year and the rear diff has disintegrated! The car has done 32000 miles! It has full Renault history until circa 300 miles ago where Motorsave did a service. They are adamant that the diff wasn鈥檛 touched as part of their service and its not included as part of it. Renault have said they鈥檒l pay 50% towards the whopping 拢5000 bill IF the part is deemed to have a fault!
The car was bought from an approved dealer and has only done 6000mls since purchase.
please can anyone offer some advice?

Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
4 years old and less then average mileage plus full Renault history (almost)...them 'aving a laff.
If the part is deemed to be at fault, it is a major item that should have lasted far longer....IMO 100% from Renault.

My only concern is why it failed and if the last service will be used as an excuse if it is found that the diff was leaking oil.
Short of winding a diff up, which is normally only possible with extreme driving, low oil would IMO be most likely cause.
Did Motorsave give a list of checked items or schedule and does this include checking for leaks?
Not whether or not they touched the diff, whether they would have looked for oil leaks?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying. Can鈥檛 tell you how stressful this is! There was no indication from Motorsave of any leaks and it seems Renault are using them as a scapegoat to wiggle out of paying for the repair. They鈥檝e asked that we pay for it in full and they will send the diff off for inspection.. then we can claim 50% back IF they find it to be faulty! Renault have told us there is a cage and plug missing?? (Sorry not mechanically minded)

Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
As DD says. Short of an oil seal leaking - which should have been obvious - the diff should have not failed. In 55 years of motoring and 20-30 cars I have never had a differential fail. If there is no evidence of an oil leak, mention getting an independent engineer's report. Maybe even small claims court. I know it is stressful but this should NOT have happened in four years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am mechanically minded but not a clue what they mean.
Could they explain or show you or send some photos?
Good to know! I鈥檝e requested some pictures to hopefully understand what they are getting at. Could it be possible for a plug to fail/fall out thus lose oil resulting in failure?

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
As the car is 4 years old it has had its 1st MOT (and possibly 2nd?). Look up the MOT History Checker (Gov.uk) on website. If there was signs of a significant oil leak around this area then it should have been flagged up as an advisory at least. If there is mention then maybe that'll give you some more direction as to when a leak may have developed and who may be responsible.

Reactions: Deano1978

Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Just to add ... I take it Motorsave was the suppling dealer on the sale of the car to your dad rather than just an independent garage who did a service after purchase? Just wondering if the dealers had acquired the car from the previous owner as a part-ex or from Renault as a trade-sale or if it was bought at an auction (possibly with a declared fault) for their sales stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts