Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi when i first got my Clio the spare key didn't work the central locking nor would it start the engine.I got the key recoded by a local locksmith so now it turns on the engine but does not operate the central locking he told me there was no transponder in the key,but would find out for me if he could get one and I have heard nothing from him since.I have seen transponders on ebay is it a good idea to buy one should they be or avoided like the plague?
MegP

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Yeh the locksmith guy is right - spare keys usualy don't have a transponder. Therei s no guarantee a different key could be coded to suit. Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware):)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi MadNoel,
I think this maybe is the problem I have...I have a 2000 1.2 RN Clio. I have two keys. Both operate the central locking, but only one will start the engine. It doesn't seem to matter which key I use to unlock the car via the plip, only one will start the car.
Can you tell me if the car has 'forgotten' something, or if Renault really intend the spare key not to be able to start the car?:confused:

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Chipped key

Looks like your second key does'nt have a chip - like the one that works. Go see a decent locksmith who may be able to chip the second key to match the other. He/she will need both keys to make a comparison.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts