Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kangoo Trekka 4x4 Hydraulic Automatic Torque Coupling.
I have a 53 plate 1.6 Trekka. This is the 4x4 version of the Kangoo.
I’m getting tinkling/tapetty-tap-tapping noises from underneath (only really audible with windows down driving close to walls) & lots of tyre-squeal in car-parks at quite modest steering angles & speeds.
I’ve read an old forum thread on this fault but have not managed to resurrect it. It’s here though
http://www.renaultforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46933&highlight=viscous+coupling&page=3
If you read that page you'll see that Kang4x4 seems to know a fair bit about this unit & BrummieExile reckons he’s found a local firm that’ll repair it for £175 + parts. If I could PM them, I would....... but as I’ve only just arrived, I don’t think I have that privilege yet.
The 4x4 system is apparently designed to run in front-wheel-drive mode under normal circumstances (to save fuel) & automatically engage the rear axle when it senses the need. To achieve this, it uses something called an Automatic Torque Coupling (ATC) which, I gather, is housed within the rear differential. It’s some Nissan designed Hydraulic gismo. I’ve seen a French PDF, which I found here
http://www.kangoo-trekka-club.org/forum/Emails/hydraulic_coupling_renault_kangoo_trekka.html
with drawings of the unit, but it’s all Greek to me.
I have read that this problem can start as low as 20k into the life of the car & have also read that it tends not to result in failure........ but I’ve no idea how authoritive this is.
The tyre-squeal is pretty drastic & can’t be good for the car, least of all the tyres....... but the tinkling noise is bloody annoying &, until I’m told otherwise, quite worrying.
Anyone out there who can shed further light on all this....... even if it’s just hearsay or supposition?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK then......... in a shameless attempt to bump this thread back up out of oblivion..........

does ANYONE know ANYTHING about the 4x4 Trekka transmission?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
7,865 Posts
Don't know sod all about the 4X4 system but have you looked to see if it as a exhaust shield if it as is it loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Ralph.
My local Renault garage had it up in the air on two separate occasions......... the last time for a full hour...... & couldn't find the noise 'till I insisted we all chased it round in a slow circle in their yard. THEN they heard it, so they then put a 4 sensor "listening" gadget on various parts 'till they tracked it down to the rear diff.......... which (I believe) is where the ATC is housed. Although they tracked it down to the diff, they couldn't tell me what was causing the noise & what the prognosis might be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts