Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
In prep for me recent car acquisition (which I am still waiting to take delivery on) I purchased a 2nd hand tuning box. Well, it's a toy which will probably be on my car for a short while, but I like toys.

I'm not going to attempt to name and shame, but would like to run this past you lot, hopefully you may confirm my suspicions, or tell me I'm smoking dope or similar.

So, I have in my hand a tuning box, it was of a 2004 (53) Scenic 1.9 120bhp DCi unit. I am getting a 2004 (53) Scenic 1.9 120bhp DCi unit. So, in theory they are identical give or take a few accessories etc.

I contacted the company it was purchased from asking if the screw / potentiometer which is covered needs setting, and do they have some instructions.

The response has been that the tuning box will need to be sent back to them for re-programmed as each one is programmed to suit each individual vehicle. They have also offered to upgrade the software. No doubt this will come at a cost which I have asked for.

So, what gets me is that this is clearly an off the shelf unit, if you purchase from them, then you clearly purchase a unit for a Scenic labelled as Renault Scenic 1.9 DCi 118 Bhp / 120 PS / 88 Kw which is delivered to the customer.

So, I cannot understand the re-programming required. Maybe someone can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks for your time.

James

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And for those interested, the cost of the reprogramming is £49.99 which handles the following:
1. Change of vehicle
2. New harness for new car
Again, both seem to assume it's a completely different vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it is definately an off the shelf unit then it sounds like a p1ss take to me....

Sounds like they are just trying to make a few bucks out of you because you bought it second hand....The harness for sure shouldn't need changing.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
If you should decide to fit it, I would put it onto it's lowest setting 1st, if it works with no side effects slowely turn up until your happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is definately an off the shelf unit then it sounds like a p1ss take to me....

Sounds like they are just trying to make a few bucks out of you because you bought it second hand....The harness for sure shouldn't need changing.
Thanks for your response. Seems like an easy buck for the guys and not been given and good indication that it needs doing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you should decide to fit it, I would put it onto it's lowest setting 1st, if it works with no side effects slowely turn up until your happy.
That's great. Thanks.
What I will probably do is guauge the current position For reference then go from there.
James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts