Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone may find this info of use
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE PROBLEM BEFORE FITTING A TURBOCHARGER THESE GUIDLINES MAY HELP

Turbo fault diagnosis

1. Shaft Movement

Check the spindle / shaft, there should be around 3/4mm side to side and up & down movement, there should be no in & out movement at all, if there is no in & out movement but the turbo is showing signs of internal oil leakage then the only way this can happen is either too much engine back pressure or a blocked oil drain pipe

2. Drain Pipe

Check the oil drain pipe by removing the pipe and pushing a flexible rod or cable down the hole, this instrument must be of the same diameter as the hole as you will only require a 20% restriction in the pipe, this will force oil through the internal seals giving the impression that the turbo seals have gone
o DO NOT simply blow down the pipe as this will NOT confirm a partial blockage of the pipe

3. Feed Pipe

Check that the oil feed pipe is not blocked or bent as damage to the turbo may occur within a very short period or even instantaneously

4. Breather System

Check the engine breather system for blockages in any of the pipes or breather filter, as if the back pressure is too great the symptoms will be as above (# 2) forcing oil passed the oil seal within the turbo

5. Engine Back Pressure

Make sure that there is no back pressure caused by worn piston rings this will also give results as listed in #2 and # 3 above

6. Turbine Wheel

Check the turbine wheel, does it look damaged, if this is the case then there is a good possibility that something from the engine has passed through the turbo and damaged the wheel, causing a catastrophic failure which can result in a complete turbo failure due to very fast spinning wheel being unbalanced

7. Carbon Build Up

If there is a carbon build up on the shaft or bearings this is more than likely due to oil "cooking" on these parts attributed by high back pressure or the drain pipe being partially blocked as the engine oil can not run back to the sump fast enough and ends up "Cooking" on the bearings, a high carbon build up will destroy a turbo, causing it too stick, overheat or a premature failure of the bearings commonly caused by items entering the engine by not have a serviceable air filter fitted or parts of the engine such as tiny parts of a valve break-up, foreign objects entering or leaving the engine in, out or through the turbocharger

8. Whistling or Screaming

Whistling or screaming can be caused by either the turbo to manifold or the manifold to turbo gasket failing by have a small hole or a rip, always check any and all gaskets before fitting them back on, if in doubt replace the gasket as it is a lot quicker and cheaper to do this now only to find out, when fitted, that you should have changed it

9. Oil is a creamy colour

Finding that oil is a creamy colour (looks like thick coffee) it is due to water / oil mix normally caused by a blown head gasket, or water entering the oil, this will seriously affect the cooling and lubrication of the turbo which will cause a premature failure of the turbo

WE HIGHLY RECCOMEND GETTING A PROFFESIONAL TO FIT A TURBO BUT IF YOU DO FEEL CONFIDENT HERE IS A INSTALLATION CHECKLIST WHICH WILL ALSO BE SENT WITH THE ITEM.

CHECK LIST
FOR CORRECT TURBOCHARGER INSTALLATION

1. Check vary carefully that there is not foreign material in either
the air intake or exhaust system, even the smallest fragment have
the potential to cause serious damage at the high operating speeds
of the modern turbocharger.

2. It is important that the turbocharger centre, turbine and compressor
housings are correctly orientated before final fitting. If the bolts,
lock tabs or V-bands are loosened to achieve this check that all
mating flanges are correctly reseated and that all service manual
torque settings are adhered to when making final rigid connections.

3. All the relevant air, oil and exhaust gaskets should be replaced when
the turbocharger is fitted. It is important to use the correct new gaskets
in all cases, and never use sealing compounds at any turbocharger oil
connection.

4. The engine oil and filter should also be changed, using oil that
is specified for turbocharged engines.

5. Before connecting the turbocharger oil feed hose it is essential
to check for any restriction resulting from oil carbonisation, then
fill the oil inlet port to overflow with clean oil.

6. Crank the engine (without firing) until there is a steady flow of
oil from the drain port before connecting the oil drain hose.

7. Let the engine run at idle speed for a minimum of 3 minutes after
installation. This will prevent possible damage to the bearing system
due to oil delay, and have the effect of purging the system of any
residual contaminants.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Turbo Faults

If you, or anyone else, want any more info on turbo related faults may I suggest looking at
Parker's Discussion Board
Hope the forum masters don't mind this mention!!
I know there are a lot of experts here at this forum but Parker's can also be a good place to glean information about the dreaded turbo failures and how to go about getting Renault to maybe pay some of the bill (??):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
I'm new to this, I have just taken the turbo out of my Laguna because of a strange sound coming from it when you increased the revs, I cannot see any damage to the fans except for a shiny bit on one of the vains, haven't had any blue smoke but found muck in the feed pipe, do you think I need to clean out the intercooler before fitting new turbo, I have ordered new feed pipe and return pipe and will be fitting new EGR valve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

Sorry if my english is not so good, I red your checklist for the turbo. Many thanks it already helped me further. 7000 miles ago I had to change my turbo (espace 2003 1,9 dci) after an oil lead wereby the motor couldn't stopt (he was running on its oil.) Than the turbo is changed for a new or revised one. the first 3500 miles everything was fine. But then he started to use oil (I have to fill it up each 600 miles. The car still runs ok but gives black smoke.
The oil in the motor smiles rather burned.

Do you have any idea what could go wrong? my garagist said I bette do do car away, but then I lose a lot of money

thanks in advance for your reply.

Steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts