Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just driving and my turbo stopped working. The car has lost alot of power but stills revs/drives. The Service light has come on even though 3k till next one.

There was no bang/clunk/knock etc so any ideas?

Has the turbo broke or could it be something else?

How do I get it tested?

Will it damage the car to continue driving it?

L

·
0 Posts
SERV light isn't short for service, it indicates a serious fault.

I wouldn't drive the car, if it is the turbo (which to be honest is unlikely) you could end up with serious damage.

I would suspect the trurbo pressure control solenoid.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops silly me..I will take it to a local garage (half mile away) tomorrow - it doesn't have to be a Renault dealer does it?

Is this a common problem and if so how pricey is it?

I must admit over the last couple of weeks there has been a kind of blowing noise at about 1700-1800 revs - more like a vibration when the turbo kicked in but only when in gear (not with the clutch down).

Does that sound like its linked?

Thanks as I aint mechanical at all

L

·
0 Posts
Doesn't have to be Renault no, but be very careful when driving it, if the revs shoot up suddenly, stall the engine instantly as it's the only way to stop it before it drains the oil from the sump. (killing the engine)

It's common when the turbo loses power and thus the engine that it's the pressure contol solenoid, you will see it fixed to the left suspension turret, when the engine is running it should buzz, if it doesn't it's failed, you could also check to see that the pipes to it are all clear, just pull them off one by one and blow through them.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Sounds like the engine has gone into limp mode.

There are numerous causes of such.

The noise and blowing sound may be associated either with the turbo or inlet plumbing.

If you have to drive go gently and should the engine go into runaway mode (loads of revving along with plumes of smokes from the exhaust) pull over select 5th gear and stall the engine ASAP.

L

·
0 Posts
No idea how much they are new, but a second hand one would do, and two min's to fit.

BTW, this is best case scenario, if you are lucky, this is what the fault is :)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In all honesty without further checks it would be difficult to say what the fault may be.

In my experience I have never came across a faulty turbo activating solenoid make a blowing sound.

I have seen problems such as faulty fuel pumps costing thousands all the way to a failed hose clip costing a quid be resonsible for limp mode so no point in counting your chickens just yet.

I am not scare-mongering - just being realistic.

Keep us updated on what the garage discovers.:)

L

·
0 Posts
I'm referring to the loss of power, not the noise, as I've known a few cars get sold for peanuts with a "failed turbo" when all that was at fault was the solenoid, I know a guy that regulary buys them and always carries a solenoid with him when he goes to look at one for sale.

L

·
0 Posts
Well they take about 2 min's to fit, so hopefully he's in luck and that's what the fault is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all

It was a crack in the inlet housing on the turbo (not sure what that is) and the nuts were loose. Plus the Mass Airflow sensor was not connected and also the main turbo pipe did not have a jubilee click to was loose. It now runs so much better and only cost £90!

Thanks for all your help everyone :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts