Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have 52 plate 1.9 DCI Laguna which is 120 BHP and have been told by a garage that the turbo is on its way out.
My brother who is good with engines is therefore going to rebuild the turbo and refit it (hopefully this will sort it) anyway my question is has anyone done this in the past and also could someone tell me if the below kit would definately fit? the seller has said it will but I just wanted to make sure really.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Renault-1-9dC...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c471f88e

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Marc

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Renault have a habit of chopping and changing turbos so you will ned to get an exact match. Ideally you'll need to get the make and model number of your existing turbo.

Assuming your brother can repair the turbo how does he propose to get it aero-dynamically balanced?:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply, I dont think he is aware that it would need to be aerodynamically ballanced what are the consequences of this not being done? Oh yes and its a Garrett turbo not sure that helps?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Your picture is typical of leaking turbo oil seals. Don't forget the inlet plumbing and the intercooler will need removed for thorough cleaning.

A turbo out of balance will shake itself to pieces with the risk of metal shards getting sucked into the engine resulting in serious engine damage.
Your best option is to go for either a recon unit or have you own professionally overhauled.

Check the existing turbo for a model number so you can get an identical match.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone tell me what it is that the oil is coming from in the picture? It's like a pressure relief valve. I have fitted a new turbo and it's still leaking oil :eek:(

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Was the inlet plumbing and intercooler removed for cleaning?

Where the oil supply and return pipes and engine inlet prot cleaned?

Check the intake side of the turbo for oil contamination - you'll need to remove it's inlet pipe coming from the air filter for a looksee.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Noel the oil pipes were removed to check for blockages as I believe oil starvation is quite common on them but the intercooler was not removed. Just seems weird that the oil is coming from the same place but I'm not having the power problems I was before it was changed.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It is possible the intercooler has some residual oil still inside.

Have you inspected the inlet side of the turbo blades for oil contamination?

·
Registered
12 Posts
mine looks like this, it was like it 12 months ago, and i cleaned the area, however after using the car for a few good runs, this area is plastered in oil. is this cars turbo on the way out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts