Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a classic Twingo, lhd french car. I had the aircon regassed in France recently. It was working 100% fine before the service.

Since then, the aircon makes a very frequent but intermittent growling noise lasting a couple of seconds, followed by more staccato versions of the same noise.
There's little if any difference in the air coolness produced when the aircon is on from when only the fan is on. Turning on the aircon also makes the engine fan kick in immediately so it sounds like the engine's overheating. It makes far less noise when it's on when it's idling or parked, mostly when I am driving.

It tends to start to play up about 10-15 mins after start up, not immediately.

I am not going back to the garage that did the service until September. Renault France refuse to cover the repair under warranty, referring me to the original garage (1200 kms away). Besides, I am pretty sure they will say it's not their fault and is a 'new' fault; however the aircon was working perfectly before the regas service.

I have had conflicting advice: french mechanic on the phone told me to keep it off or risk breaking down; UK mechanic (no diagnostics run) said to run it a lot to run down the gas level a bit.

What has the mechanic done to my car - any ideas without obviously listening to it? So far, it drives ok when the aircon is growling.

·
Premium Member
24,215 Posts
Firtsly the air-con will only operate with the heater blower running nd it is normal for the radiator fan to start when the air-con is engaged. If neither the condensor or evaporator has a constant flow of air neither can operate efficiently.

The grating noise is not a good sign as it sounds like the compressor is complaining and if left unattended could fail altogether leaving you stranded. If the compressor fails it can cuase the auxiliary belt to fail and consequebtly take the timing belt with it resulting on serious engine damage.
I would recommend you have the air-con system serviced correctly before going any further. Also get it checked for leaks.

Your French mechanic is correct. I would also ask the UK mechanic how on earth does he expect the air-con refrgerant to run down or out. Does he not realise it's a selaed system simlar to any fridge or home freezer.:crazy:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks for the reply MN. Do you think it is safe to run the car with the air con off? I drove it up the 1200km to England with the air con off.

Sounds expensive to fix too. I am not pleased, as it was fine until the mechanic did the 'forfait climatisation' (air con re-gas) and service. Do you think that this should be covered by the warranty, as it was just serviced in April?
As you say ' have it serviced properly' - this is surely what I've just paid 99 euros for, or is the regassing different to servicing it?

May ask for the UK mechanic's boss next time methinks, he's a good mechanic!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone tell me if the compressor is an SD6V12 (variable displacement) processor on the Twingo classic 2004 (Generation or similar models)?
I have booked a mobile air con co. They think it is that compressor. thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.