Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Twingo and the cambelt broke. The garage i got towed to wants to charge £800 to get it up and running again, sounds like some of the things are a little overkill too. The car isn't really worth that much, but i've just spent a good few £'s on it as it just passed the MOT and has had new suspension, so i'm faced with two options - either let the garage take the car off my hands for nothing - or try and fix it myself. I know it's got a clio engine, but i'm not 100% sure which one and as it's an import i think it's a bit hard to get hold of english haynes manuals etc.
Any tips / advice or would anyone like to take it off my hands?!:crazy:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hard lines mate - its always tough when the belt goes.

I don't know which engine is in your's (I suspect a 1.2), but rather than repairing the engine (which is messy, and time-consuming as you don't know all the bits needed), I'd be inclined to source a second-hand unit to drop straight in.

Its a 2-man job, and the electrics may need professional help, but it would probably work out cheaper to go this route.

Just a suggestion, but all the best whatever you decide.

Paul:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i agree it might be more worth your while getting a recon engine. Trying to change the cambelt yourself is tricky, you also don,t know what other damage that has been done to your engine with the failure to the belt. At least with a recon engine, (if you get one from a reliable firm) you know all the worn parts will have been replaced and have a nearly new engine. maybe even have a new warranty for a few months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for your advice and pointing me in the right direction to that clio FAQ's - pictures and everything! What more could you want! :)
And yes, it's a little 1149cc job

1 - 6 of 6 Posts