Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had my Mk2 Twingo for 2 years now and I've always wanted to do some minor adjustments to the interior, especially by adding the tachometer from a higher spec model. I've got a base spec Freeway model (1.2 8V) which doesn't have the rev counter / tachometer. I'd like to know if it's possible to add one before continuing

I took off the steering column cover and did a bit of exploring. The bracket that holds the rev counter in place is there, but there is no visible wire or connector that is visible. I've looked around and others said it's tucked in on the steering column, so could I possibly not have one? I've tried to peer further down into the steering column but I can't see anything obvious.

I've attached a picture of what I can see, many thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi sorry for the late reply, I'd love to hear how you went about it!
tomorrow I`ll write a detailed explanation (today I have to study :( )
I`ll try to be as general as possible because I have the left hand steering edition and some of the connections are different

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nevermind, my exam got canceled.

PLEASE REMEMBER: this is my experience after a lot of study and experiments. I DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSABILITY to any problem with your car after this procedure nor any damage to you or your car. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

First of all: why does it work?
our rev counter comunicates with the computer via CAN-BUS. Canbus is like a network inside your car that allows different devices to comunicate with each others using only two cables, so everithing is connected to two magical cables: CAN-L and CAN-H. Once we find these two we basicly win, because the only other problem is to find somewher 12V and that's easy.

1) pinout of rev counter
watching the connector with the rev-needle down (and so the back up) let's give each pin a number:
4 3 2 1
8 7 6 5

5 is ground
1-2-6 is +12 (details later)
8 is CAN-H
4 is CAN-L
3-7 are free
for an easier work I've disassembled the rev counter and substituted the connector with 6 cables

2) Where to find can
an interesting section of CAN (I'm not sure if you can connect in other points) sarts from the passanger compartment computer and goes to: airbag/pretensioner computer, a/c, instrument panel
So I've decided to investigate the instrument panel
looking at the connector when it is in the right bottom corner you have the following pinout
21 22 23 ... 40
1 2 3 ... 20
37 is canL
35 is canH
so you have to find a way to connect to these pins, I have soldered two small cables inside the instrument panel but you can peel the cables for example.

NB here english models could be different, so I've added photos

Electronics Technology Electronic device Computer hardware Electrical wiring Vehicle door Wire Cable Finger Technology

3) where to find +12
following renault schemes
1 goes to fuse 18 (interior light)
2 goes to fuse 43 (left light)
6 goes to fuse 2 (wiper)
where 6 is the main power, 2 is for light and 1... well i don't know

With this you should be able to connect everything properly, feel free to ask me anything!

p.s. sorry, I haven't reviewed my words with a lot of concentration and english is not my first language, so sorry for any brutal errors!
Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Vehicle Tachometer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have neither the cable or the bracket to hold the tacho, so i have to make everything.

Panos - Where did you get that SPEAKERS connector? What connector is on the third photo? From central spedometer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the info. I have neither the cable or the bracket to hold the tacho, so i have to make everything.

Panos - Where did you get that SPEAKERS connector? What connector is on the third photo? From central spedometer?
Dear Borut_k79 the "SPEAKERS" connector is the cable/connector that connects CD-ROM analog audio with P/C mainboard ( something like that )
Yes the third photo is the central speedometer connector

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dear Borut_k79 the "SPEAKERS" connector is the cable/connector that connects CD-ROM analog audio with P/C mainboard ( something like that )
Yes the third photo is the central speedometer connector
Thank you for the fast answer. So i get the power (3 cables) and CAN from speedometer connector? You combined two power cables (ignition + 12v (6) on yellow wire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for the fast answer. So i get the power (3 cables) and CAN from speedometer connector? You combined two power cables (ignition + 12v (6) on yellow wire?
Sorry for the delay
As 20001471 said
"1 goes to fuse 18 (interior light)
2 goes to fuse 43 (left light)
6 goes to fuse 2 (wiper)
where 6 is the main power, 2 is for light and 1... well i don't know"
And my connections are:
1 goes to fuse 18 (interior light0)==== +12v permanent power (I found it on the light switch)
2 goes to fuse 43 (left light) ====== +12v (on the light switch "output")
6 goes to fuse 2 (wiper) ======= +12v from the ignition switch (yellow wire from speedometer connector)
37 is canL ======= from speedometer connector
35 is canH ======= from speedometer connector
ground ======= black wire from speedometer connector

I hope that is clear now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for dummies explanation :) I really have no idea, but thanks to you i will manage to put it together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts