Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Thought I'd drop by and say hello here after having a rough time at my local Renault dealer asking for information. They think I'm some sort of outcast for owning an imported Renault!

My car is a 2001 Twingo 16V - "Green Fee" model. I imported it recently from Germany and am currently in the middle of the mountain of paperwork and admin registering it in the UK.

As most of you will know, the Twingo is a European-only model and was never sold in the UK, so there's no other option than to import and get used to left hand driving. This is a limited edition model made for the German market, which had the most built in spec out of the factory.

The car is mechanically most similar to the Clio, sharing a lot of parts and the whole engine. From the outside it's quite unique.

I'll be asking a few questions about general car maintenance and upkeep and all the rest of it. I also want to fit a factory fit model Becker in-dash sat nav unit in it, but that's for another topic.

So, that's me and my car!

Cheers,
matt

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Nice choice of car!! My mum fell in love with these when they first came out and was upset to find out they were'nt coming to the UK! lol..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Nice choice of car!! My mum fell in love with these when they first came out and was upset to find out they were'nt coming to the UK! lol..
I know what you mean.

Importing was easy - the paperwork is a nightmare or has been so far with the one certificate I needed from Renault.

So unless your mum has the patience of a saint then I'd not recommend the import route. Maybe wait for the new shape Twingo out in June which will be RHD?

·
Premium Member
1,708 Posts
I know what you mean.

Importing was easy - the paperwork is a nightmare or has been so far with the one certificate I needed from Renault.

So unless your mum has the patience of a saint then I'd not recommend the import route. Maybe wait for the new shape Twingo out in June which will be RHD?
First saw a Twingo in the early 90's (I think :crazy: ) in France, so think she's got over it now ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
HI I got a 1994 Twingo I bought in 1995 with 5000km on the clock she now got 300,000km, I found the paperwork easy as I was given the Certificate of Conformity by the dealer in France. Cost £25 for the DVLA and that was it, took 2 weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HI I got a 1994 Twingo I bought in 1995 with 5000km on the clock she now got 300,000km, I found the paperwork easy as I was given the Certificate of Conformity by the dealer in France. Cost £25 for the DVLA and that was it, took 2 weeks.
I'm still in paperwork hell with mine! So any more detailed advice would be appreciated, twingolad65.

·
Registered
5 Posts
She is obviously older than 3 years of age so no vat or car tax to pay, you will need to get her mot'd, you can use the chassis number for that, I don't know which insurance company you use but I use Footman James in Birmingham, I pay £250 a year fully comp with protected no claims and european cover with breakdown assistance covered. You then need the form from the post office, the certificate of conformity (if the dealer didn't give it to you, then you need to speak to a local Renault dealer in the UK quoting the chassis and vin number, who should then be able to get a copy) send it all off to the DVLA and with the fee you should be able to get it in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My post adds absolutely no useful information, but I wanted to say how cool I think these about-to-be-replaced Twingos are. I first saw them in 1994 and I haven't got over them.

Walking up Borough High Street to work yesterday morning I saw one, and in my daydreaming head I jumped on a bus to Waterloo, caught the Eurostar, found a Renault garage, bought a Twingo and drove it home via the Eurotunnel.

To me, the sight of Twingos is like that noise the Metro trains make before the doors close - it's one of the small but great things about trips to Paris.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Philip, good to read your daydream. For me that is a reality, sort of.

I bought my first February Spring 2006, spotted it on eBay but it didn't reach it's reserve so I called the man in Uxbridge and made an offer. It was mine the next day! Sadly, a car hit me on the motorway during Christmas grid lock and my Twingo was a write-off. As soon as the insurance came through, I started looking for a replacement.

UK eBay is few and far between and I knew exactly what I was after having owned one. There are no reputable UK importers but lots of sharks willing to fleece your money - so be warned. The only good thing that came of that was one told be about mobile.de - an eBay owned website, but for Germany only. Luckily, the Germans look after their cars extremely well. Next on my list - in order of expected car condition - would have been Belgium, Luxembourg and finally (reluctantly) France.

So I used mobile.de to find a Twingo of the exact spec I wanted - full length glass sunroof, 16V, 2001+ model, ABS, power steering, manual gears etc. Luckily that matched a German limited edition almost exactly. I bargained with the dealer over badly written/translated German emails, and did my research about export/import. I then booked a flight to Stuttgart for one Friday morning. Everybody involved on the German side bent over backwards and made the whole thing go without a hitch. The only problem being I neglected to take good enough maps to get back - via a night out on the tiles in Brussels, of course! I've since bought Sat Nav.

So, my advice to you is - live the dream because that's what it's there for! If what you want is out there, don't settle for second best. People may think you're a little crazy, but at least you'll know you're having a bloody good time at it. :) Your car and mine are essentially the same, in terms of engine and most parts but in character are miles apart.

I'll save the story of my classic Honda scooter search following a holiday in Corfu for my next post. ;)

Take it easy,
matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Philip, good to read your daydream. For me that is a reality, sort of.

I bought my first February Spring 2006, spotted it on eBay but it didn't reach it's reserve so I called the man in Uxbridge and made an offer. It was mine the next day! Sadly, a car hit me on the motorway during Christmas grid lock and my Twingo was a write-off. As soon as the insurance came through, I started looking for a replacement.

UK eBay is few and far between and I knew exactly what I was after having owned one. There are no reputable UK importers but lots of sharks willing to fleece your money - so be warned. The only good thing that came of that was one told be about mobile.de - der Automarkt für Gebrauchtwagen und Neufahrzeuge - Finden oder Verkaufen Sie einfach und schnell ihr Auto - an eBay owned website, but for Germany only. Luckily, the Germans look after their cars extremely well. Next on my list - in order of expected car condition - would have been Belgium, Luxembourg and finally (reluctantly) France.

So I used mobile.de - der Automarkt für Gebrauchtwagen und Neufahrzeuge - Finden oder Verkaufen Sie einfach und schnell ihr Auto to find a Twingo of the exact spec I wanted - full length glass sunroof, 16V, 2001+ model, ABS, power steering, manual gears etc. Luckily that matched a German limited edition almost exactly. I bargained with the dealer over badly written/translated German emails, and did my research about export/import. I then booked a flight to Stuttgart for one Friday morning. Everybody involved on the German side bent over backwards and made the whole thing go without a hitch. The only problem being I neglected to take good enough maps to get back - via a night out on the tiles in Brussels, of course! I've since bought Sat Nav.

So, my advice to you is - live the dream because that's what it's there for! If what you want is out there, don't settle for second best. People may think you're a little crazy, but at least you'll know you're having a bloody good time at it. :) Your car and mine are essentially the same, in terms of engine and most parts but in character are miles apart.

I'll save the story of my classic Honda scooter search following a holiday in Corfu for my next post. ;)

Take it easy,
matt
For me it was working in Cherbourg, needing to replace my aging Citroen, walked into the Renault dealer and seeing the Twingo on the forecourt, bought her there and then with only 2500km on her clock, now 13 years later and with 300,000 kms on clock passing the mot every year without costing a penny, head gasket blown but having her repaired as can't bear to part with her. lol

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Question of intrest here.... as there are no RHD Twingos, how did you get round the headlight pattern as you cant change the lamps and I didnt think beam defectors passed an MOT?

Just curious:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Renault actually sell RHD headlamps for the Twingo. I'm not sure why, but they do! Part numbers here

They sell them to suit Twingo I (94-98) and Twingo II (98-00) they do not sell exact replacements for later mark II models though you can fit ones for early Twingo II.

Or you may get lucky in the MOT. The Twingo has height adjustable headlamps which may or may not help.

I'm trying to find out more from a company that apparently offers a headlamp conversion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello

sorry i'm not really on topic, but i am interested in buing sach a car. anyone can help me with some sugestions about the engine tipe that is most durable, how "easy" it brakes, an overal opinion about the twingo! thank you in advance...ps. sorry about my spelling

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi dorin,

I can advise on the car and buying if you are in the UK. But I think you are elsewhere? You might want to try the twingoloversclub yahoo group/mailing list.

Here I will talk about the classic Twingo (1992-2006).

The original model (1992-1997) was quite basic, but set the precedent and design. The second major revision (1998-2006) introduced a restyling and better features. The car was updated every two years throughout it's lifespan.

Generally, it is as reliable as a Clio of the same age - mechanically they are almost identical - even down to the 1998 issue of both cars featuring problems with the airbag light becoming problematic. But generally they are very reliable cars, with few problems and a great support community. If you treat the car right it will last a long time.

The Twingo 1.2 16V model (2001-2006) is more economical and the refinements that came with that model make it the best version, in my opinion. I would avoid older models, and especially the Easy version with it's semi-automatic gearbox.

I looked long and hard before buying, finally settling on a limited edition model that had all the features I required and for a good price. All my research was done online.

Feel free to ask more questions! I have lots of links, some in English, others in French and German. I can send them to you.

ps: I see you drive a Matiz - to an untrained eye it looks quite like a Twingo - Daewoo even borrowed some design elements/idea from the Twingo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - it is 2013, so resurrecting an old thread... but... FWIW, I have just listed on eBay the RHD Classic Twingo front headlights - if of interest, search eBay for "renault twingo headlights". We have sold our lovely Twingo back to France to a family member (it is still going strong!), so our RHD headlights are no-longer needed...
oh, my post on eBay also details the sticker (part no.) I found on the back of the lights... hope that helps someone in future.
There were two:
Renault 7701.040499
and
"Carello"
"Made in Italy"...
I wonder if they will even sell?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts