Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Trafic1.6 Gen 3 2017..120ps
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all... bit of a ramble this, I'm reaching the tickly bit with buying a set of wheels and Tyres for my Trafic.. I'm ex tyre industry although I'm out of the game 28 years I've retained a good bit in my head which I use every day as a biker and track rider... manufacturers/pressures/compounds that you run get huge focus and rightly so as tyres are "hopefully" the only part of the bike that touches the road, cars/vans are no different.

Anyhow I have started the hunt to make my Trafic mine really and ran into the usual conundrum of vanity over sanity, legality and self preservation... at first I set out down the 18s route but whilst in the middle of researching .sizes, load indexes, rim width, profile ratios and rolling circumference, I have settled on a set of 17s.. The objective I guess is to make the van a bit more attractive to look at but keep it within acceptable boundaries.

There's a decent choice of Rated Rims out there @17"... I'm probably going down the 225/55 route though this width and profile would require me to inform my insurer which i will before purchase. OE is 205/65 x 16 and 106/108 Index, the approved 17" upgrade is 215/60 x 17 109/107 which I imagine without checking will be what the Sport has fitted.

If I upgrade I want to enhance that look a bit more with the 225s

There's a few very useful sites I came across which may help others looking to do same, one in particular www.tyresizecalculator.com is excellent for calculating your OE v Larger Rim sizes and how much the parameters of the larger rim/tyre sizes deviated from OE.. It also works out the speedometer variances.

If anyone has or is going to upgrade it would be good to hear your opinions

Thanks

Stuart

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump on this, any comments.. think I'd like to go to 18s..103 load index tho !

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,703 Posts
@Nottnoc

I know Tim (Nottnoc) upgraded the rims on his Trafic with BMW wheels, and knows his stuff on the subject.

Theres a thread he did about on the forum somewhere.

Hopefully he'll see this and post.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
8,505 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I'm ex tyre industry from long while back... I've been agonising over upgrading to 17s, then 18s...I had a bit of a ding dong on the phone with my mate earlier... he called to say he had just bought a set of 18" rims Load Rated (he never said what load) and a set of 101 XL tyres on his Trafic LWB.. my argument is always erring on safety, 101s are miles away from the "correct" LI for that van...his argument... is the same over....,"look at everyone else, their all doing it".... meaning he's safe because all the other vans he sees have 18s or bigger with 50s or 45s or whatever fitted...

Granted 17s don't over excite me...tho, I can upgrade to 225/55 x17 and get a 109/106 load Index which is greater than the 205/65x16 106 LI OE...

lets face he's right, thousands of other Tranny, Trafic, Vivaro, T5/T6 owners who upgrade possibly without consideration or are blissfully unaware throw big rims and fat tyres on...so he has a point...

Forgetting safety, what about a smash and a keen eyed assessor ?.. safety.. 101 LI v 106 LI is 825-950 kg... so that's 75kg or 150kg per axle less... going up to a 106/109 is 1030 @ 109 thats 200kg a corner or 400kg per axle less..

Maybe I'm delving into it too much, but I know I'm right...

knowing my luck if I threw a set of 18s on with equivalent tyres I'd get xxxxxxx.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vanity won at the end of the day.. set of 18s with 255/45s fitted

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,794 Posts
They look nice.
I must admit I am not a fan of low profile tyres, to me you lose the safety factor that "normal" profiles give over potholes and the like.
But they do look nice.
How are you doing on the Load Rating with those?
And is your insurance okay with them?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Compromise on the Load Index.. these are 103s so a fair bit shy on the OE 106s, 103 AFIK is as high as any manufacturer produces on a 45 series...I told my insurer and they noted it on my file, to say they were disinterested would be an understatement...possibly due to the sheer volume of vans with low profiles fitted.

Their replies were preformatted and asked no questions...

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
I just fitted new rims to my Fozzy, and there is no way i would waste my time using a tyre calc :p, yeah maybe if i was going from 15" to 18, but lol otherwise. But out of interest though, i typed in what i have clanged from and too, and i would have to be doing 100 mph before it made a 1 mph difference....

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No harm in knowing what if any difference it makes, you can't have too much knowledge.. it's important to some people others not..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts