Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

This is my last problem for now ... the previous owner ... one of the two.

Has removed as he said the tyre monitoring system... However I am sure it is not removed ... more likely disabled.

I want to reinstate it ... I am sure the valves have no sensors at the moment so I will need to buy those.

What do I need to do in order to enable the sensor display on the top of the dashboard? At the moment it only shows the car figure and if doors are open ... but the little dot tyres are not shown at all.

Cheers
V

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surely the question is Why?? Why reinstate something that is notorious for its faults!!
Well I like everything on the car to be working ... so this will be the only thing not working on the car. Let's say I like my gadgets :cool::crazy:

I had briefly a Laguna for a months 1.8 2004 model and it was sold really cheap because of a light on the dashboard... many thought it was the ECU... however it was the flat tyre warning light lol ...
I took it, reset the system with the removal of the fuse method ... and there it was, working fine again.

However now it is different, they have it disabled totally :mad: and I want it back lol :devil: I have already looked for valves online and can find them for £28 per corner.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Disabling the tyre pressure system on the Lag II that I owned was the best thing I ever did. The car I owned had the voice computer and everytime I started the car it used to announce a problem with a tyre sensor.

I cant remember exactly what she / the computer said, but it was damn annoying every time as it was preceeded by a dodgy chime noise. Best £35 I ever spent was on getting the system switched off. :d

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
The most common cause of a faulty tyre pressure montioring system is down to duff valve sensors so if you are prepared to renew all four then it is more likely to be reliable. Just ensure you get the correct sensors as there are at least two variations that I am aware of. After fitting a Renault dealer usually chages either a half-hour or one hours labour for reinstating the system.

Yes the system can be troublesome at times but if you wish to have it up and running then that is entirely your choice.

A while back my mate had a quote to have all his sensors replaced at a cost of £160 plus about £80 for programming so I would expect overall cost to be around the £250 mark. Whereas he could have had the system disabled for £40.:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know everyone is thinking I am totally mad ... that I am trying to re-enable the system!! :d

My Laguna does not have the speach feature ... so it will not tell me things all the time.

I would like to know if my tyre is low on pressure without having to get dirty. And as I said I prefer to have everything working on the car :cool:

At the moment it has no valve sensors at all ... at least from what I can see (no coloured rings) ... If it has any sensors then that would be a surprise...

However I need to enable the display in order to see if the sensors are there or not ... it shows no tyre marks at all on the vehicle image, no blinking no solid ... just empty. :mad:

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Hi GreekLaguna,

I don't think you're mad at all. I would be (and have done) exactly the same thing. It's a great feature if maintained and it's great having the car monitoring it's own tyre pressures.

Here's my story. I have an '03 Mégane with just about ever option available, but it was never specified with Tyre Pressure Monitoring. I've had a few punctures and didn't realise until it was too late, due to the 17" wheels and low profile tyres. It turns out that it was just a case of buying and coding the sensors, and "telling" the car to monitor it's tyres.

I bought the sensors new, at a cost of £120 for all four, and had them fitted and coded for £50. Really glad I did it, I have a slow puncture in the back left wheel that I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the CHECK TYRE PRESSURE, which changed to STOP! TYRE PUNCTURE when the pressure got really low. So clever! :d

Now that the puncture is sorted, I'm not getting any warnings or sensors playing up... then again they are only 2 months old!

Don't go anywhere near Renault to have it done, they didn't want to know when I approached them. I found a small, newly opened garage specializing in Renault diagnostics who sorted it out for me, and got rid of my CHECK INJECTION warning at the same time :d

Oh and just so you know, the Laguna, Vel Satis and Espace use the same sensors, which are different sensors to the Mégane and Scénic. I tried ebay, but new ones were more expensive than the dealers, and there's no gaurantee that second hand ones work.

AND - Between the end of 2003 and start of 2004, Renault changed the specifications of the Laguna so that only the Privilege and Initiale were fitted with sensors. I understand that the Laguna's tyre pressure monitoring computer is visible underneath the car, so this should tell you if the car had it originally. If not, it will be more difficault to sort than mine which is built into the ECU.

Let us know how it goes, good luck!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Apart from the coloured rings the sensors look entirely different than normal valves. Normal valves are pop-in whereas the sensor type are retained by a nut so a quick visual check will soon tell you what type are fitted. Even though the sensor type may be fitted there is no gauarantee they're working - thay all could have died.
One down-side of the tyre pressure monitoring system is that it can be variable depending on weather conditions. For instance on a cold frosty morning they can give low-pressure warnings.
When I had my Lag II I fouynd the system wasn't always that accurate. On numerous occasions when I checked pressures using a gauge some were as much as 5 psi out of range yet no warning appeared on the dash.

The link below may be of some assistance.:)

http://www.petercoopercarrepairs.co.uk/renault_laguna_mkii.htm

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Great link there, Noel. Bookmarked :)

Yep, my Laguna would flash up a warning for the first two minutes or so of driving on a winter morning. The Mégane doesn't though.

In addition to Noel's info, here's a picture of a sensor valve.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys,
Really good tips and information provided.
I have to get in action once I get my car back from the garage and investigate what pieces are missing... or not.

I have a bluetooth OBDII adaptor... anyone that can recommend a Renault diagnostics I can install in my laptop??

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I must say, this technology on the car is nothing but trouble.. When I bought my car, I asked the dealer to disable the tyre presure program on the ECU and reploace all the volves.
However , the cost of progrming the pressure sensor on the wheels £185 + vat excluding the price of volves.

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
My Lag is coming up 8 yrs old and in that time iv'e only had two sensors and they were fitted under warranty,i must be the lucky one...All you do is tell the garage when fitting new tyres that the wheels are sensored,half the time its them that damage them taking off your tyres!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Disabling the tyre pressure system on the Lag II that I owned was the best thing I ever did. The car I owned had the voice computer and everytime I started the car it used to announce a problem with a tyre sensor.

I cant remember exactly what she / the computer said, but it was damn annoying every time as it was preceeded by a dodgy chime noise. Best £35 I ever spent was on getting the system switched off. :d
Hi mate where did you get the tyre sensor disabled please/

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
Hi mate where did you get the tyre sensor disabled please/
I got it done at a Renault Main dealer mate but that was around 3 years ago.

New MOT rules next year will mean any car that has / should have TPMS fitted that isnt working will fail. That may be worth looking into before you get the system disabled. :)

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I must say, this technology on the car is nothing but trouble.. When I bought my car, I asked the dealer to disable the tyre presure program on the ECU and reploace all the volves.
However , the cost of progrming the pressure sensor on the wheels £185 + vat excluding the price of volves.
Hmmm I only paid £150 for a complete set of new valves, programming and fitting for the Mégane. Shop around next time!

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts

New MOT rules next year will mean any car that has / should have TPMS fitted that isnt working will fail. That may be worth looking into before you get the system disabled. :)
I doubt they'd fail a car not showing any warning lights as how are they to know whether the option was fitted anyway? The problem, I suspect, will now come for those who've just ignored the system rather than disabling it, like my dad's old '3-wheeled' Lag :p

Reactions: sappy1805

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Yup, as above. I've asked about this. If the system is disabled, the display will show 4 wheels, just like a car with a) a fully set of working sensors and b) a car that didn't have them in the first place. It WILL pass the MOT.

My Mégane has the system, my mum's doesn't. They both have exactly the same dash display. The tester would only know mine has TPMS if it were to show a fault message in which case it would fail. So, they won't be specifically looking for the equipment, but if a fault message is there they can't ignore it.

·
Administrator
21,725 Posts
I doubt they'd fail a car not showing any warning lights as how are they to know whether the option was fitted anyway? The problem, I suspect, will now come for those who've just ignored the system rather than disabling it, like my dad's old '3-wheeled' Lag :p
Yup, as above. I've asked about this. If the system is disabled, the display will show 4 wheels, just like a car with a) a fully set of working sensors and b) a car that didn't have them in the first place. It WILL pass the MOT.

My Mégane has the system, my mum's doesn't. They both have exactly the same dash display. The tester would only know mine has TPMS if it were to show a fault message in which case it would fail. So, they won't be specifically looking for the equipment, but if a fault message is there they can't ignore it.
I was thinking this too. My Lag II was the same when disabled, showed no faults, had all four wheels showing on the display etc. The only tell tale sign was that it didnt have TPMS sensors in the wheels.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Just an update on my tyre sensors,they are all being seen by the car now as only one was shown on the lcd display also the car computer will tell you more when things are wrong as before it would only show on the display.

also the car is not getting the fault chime when keycard inserted,this was so annoying all the time the renault symbol also displays and says OK on the screen,this has all righted itself after having the battery disconnected for two days

1 - 20 of 26 Posts