Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I ignore the Renault system on the car, dont trust the forecourts so I allways use a good old fashioned pencil type gauge, also I can tell to within 2psi when driving (might be due to the fact I ride a motorbike) I check weekly and always before a long journey

Pete

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
I ignore the Renault system on the car, dont trust the forecourts so I allways use a good old fashioned pencil type guage, also I can tell to within 2psi when driving (might be due to the fact I ride a motorbike) I check weekly and always before a long journey

Pete

Same here I have a pencil type gauge and a dial type which are carried in the car.

weekly and long journeys check also.

·
Administrator
21,718 Posts
Ive got one of those digital tyre gauges that measures in eithers bar or psi. Not sure how accurate it is.

I must admit I dont check the tyres as often as I should. But always do before a long journey.

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
I dont check as regually as I should. I visually check allmost everytime I'm near the car though.

Still got 26k out the fronts though.....

I have a pencil gauge.... somewhere, and a digital gauge/electric pump in the car. Michelin thing that goes in the fag lighter.

·
Premium Member
16,417 Posts
But how do you know the pencil gauge is accurate!?

If you let a little air out each week via a pencil gauge, Would that not loose the psi anyway!?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
But how do you know the pencil gauge is accurate!?

If you let a little air out each week via a pencil gauge, Would that not loose the psi anyway!?

How do you know any gauge is accurate,the amount of air to check presure is so little its not worth bothering about, but if you are like me I check on my footpump it has a gauge that is nearly accurate, blow tyre up a bit then let down on pencil gauge

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I allways use a good old fashioned pencil type gauge
Pete

Ditto. I use one of those, I also use a digital TPG attached to a small 12 volt electric tyre inflater, fortuitously they both agree, therefore I'm guessing both are maybe accurate.

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
The cars tyres don't get checked as often as they should, but probably at least every 3-4 weeks when I put some petrol in it. I don't do many miles in the car probably 150-200 a month. After I put new wheels on it I neglected to check the pressures. I did them this weekend (three weeks later!) and found one at 15PSI and another at 20. Ooops.

The van tyres get checked very regularly though as I can be doing well over 1000 miles a week in it. It's usually at the Tescos compressor - just stick it to 65psi and it beeps when the tyre is inflated to that pressure. In practice it beeps pretty much straight away I find, so it doesn't take long!

·
Premium Member
8,274 Posts
65 psi! that sounds pretty high!
Van tyres DJ - they need to be high pressure, in the book it says 70PSI in the rears for carrying full loads :)

Since I've had the book out just to double check the tyre pressures I ound this nugget of info; it says "for economical driving try to avoid carrying loads in the back". Errr, isn't it a van?!?! :rofl:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts