Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Help desperately needed!!!
I have just bought a 1993 Renault 19 1.4 with 175/70 R 1382T tyres on and do not have the maunfacturer's handbook. Was wondering what the right tyre pressues are as they are now seriously low.
Anyone who can help?
Also how bad is the internet for finding tyre pressures if you need them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hi there, I don't know about anyone else but I've always put 32psi all round on all my cars. I've never had any problems with uneven or premature wear on my tyres.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi, I've checked a few websites, and althought your specific model isn't listed - cars of similar size & tyre size are from the low to mid thirties - I would put them to 32 (as previously mentioned) and contact a Renault or tyre dealer for clarification. A Haynes manual is probably a good idea (pressures are listed within) if you plan on carrying out any maintenance on your car.

Am a bit concerned when you say seriously low - since you don't know what they should be, I can only presume that they are in the low twenties (or less), this is very dangerous (blow outs or tyre separation can occur), at the very least, you will promote uneven wear.

Deal with this sooner than later for your own sake.

Paul:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Tyre pressures

There was a time your local filling station or garage would have this type of info., displayed on charts etc., Then someone tried to sue them following a serious accident - allegedly attributed to wrong tyre pressures. So you understand why some websites are reluctant to provide this info., - personally I advise people to contact a local tyre supplier as some makes of tyres operate at different pressures. As we now live in a "claim culture" society we need to beware of giving advice especially on matters which may have safety related issues.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I know where you're coming from, and that's what I suggested - but not for those reasons.

I've been driving for twenty years (how time flies), and have never heard of pressures being affected by the brand of tyre?

Sure, I've heard of winter tyres whereby the pressures may be reduced (but that's for traction in extreme circumstances).

Tyres of the same size and speed/load/temperature rating are pretty much uniform in their pressure requirements (otherwise, your handbook would have an entire section on differing tyre pressures per brand - and even tread pattern).

Granted, there is a maximum rating but this is clearly marked on the sidewall, I've never seen a car which was fitted with a tyre (as standard) whereby its pressures came even close to the maximum of the tyre (usually around 43-44psi).

The information exchange on this forum is based upon us each having a modicum of sense, I wouldn't want to be worried that we have to dumb-down the info just to protect ourselves from litigation.

Paul:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Very good point indeed Vel – but if you notice the car concerned is 1993 model and tyre design has moved on somewhat since then (some 15 years have past) an I doubt the original tyres are still fitted. The handbook supplied with the vehicle refers to the tyres which are fitted when new. I have come across tyres which although within the size recommended by the manufacturer have some differences (e.g. tyres with kerbing rims, etc). and require different pressures. Stick to the car supplier that’s what I say.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts