Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for guidance here on the tyre pressures for my 02 Scenic 1.9 Dti.

I travel everyday from the West coast to the East coast of Scotland so mainly I drive on motorway. The manual refers to high speed driving, is this what it means?

I've inflated all four to 34 psi as instructed in the manual for high speed.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
my manual describes it as motorway driving, so I guess that means high speed. Although for my 1.5dci scenic I think the fronts should be3psi higher than the rears. Also depend on tyre size.

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
205/60 R16 H 34psi fronts 32psi rears
205/55 R17 V 35psi fronts 32psi rears

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers, I'll double check my manual as i was surprised the tyre pressure was the same front and back for high speed but not for standard driving.

Any thoughts why they must be more inflated for the higher speed?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
It's not a matter that they must be inflated for higher speeds, it's so that the tyres are better suited for the extra loads & stresses placed on them because of the speeds involved. It means that the sidewalls don't have to deform so much as the tyres rotate. You will sacrifice a little ride comfort, but enjoy more stability at motorway speeds.

I must admit, I tend to prefer a firmer tyre pressure on my cars, as I feel that the tyres behave in a more consistent manner during hard cornering and braking.

Hope that helps a bit.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Vel - I would tend to agree with you regarding tyre pressures - I usually put them a just 2-3 pounds higher - I think it gives a more positive feel to steering but also a slightly harder ride - but that easily solved - I just stick the wifes fat bulging purse under my ass - it contains all my hard earned cash.:d Upping the pressures for long periods of high-speed driving prevents the tyre temperatures from getting too high and the associated risk of delamination and blow outs. All of this info., asumes the tyres are in good condito to begin with. A mate of mine works in a tyre depot and he says over 50% of tyre replacement is due to poor mauntenance by the driver. When he asks a customer when the tyre pressures were last checked he usually just gets a blank stare.:d

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More top advice and info, thanks guys. I'll stick to the higher pressure.

That said I noticed the front driver tyre looking a bit saggy when I got out at work this morning, only checked them a couple of days ago. Fingers crossed it isn't a screw from the workshops here lodged in the tyre. they get everywhere. I'll check before I go home, maybe after I washed it, motorway driving really isn't a white cars friend. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that keeping your tyres inflated at the correct pressure can save on fuel costs, as well as extend the life of your tyre.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that keeping your tyres inflated at the correct pressure can save on fuel costs, as well as extend the life of your tyre.
Not forgetting the safety aspect of emergency braking (car may pull in an unforeseen direction if one tyre is at the wrong pressure), and the risk of a tyre blowout due to overheating and stress....

Its always worth having a weekly check (even if you have sensors).

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Correct tyre presures

Hi - Bargainspotter. Yeh you're right. Years ago I was a member of an amateur motor club (no racing ir anything like that) - just a few petrol heads who shared information, etc. We used to do economy tests on our vehicles - we measured what we actually got in MPG against what the manufacturer claimed (none of us were ever actually match them) and one of the cheats during the test was to inflate our tyres 5-10 p.s.i above normal. Some of the guys claimed it added around 5% to the figures. As you can appreciate over inflating can be very dangerous and cause uneven tyre wear.:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Extra stress on the tyre casing, plus reduced contact patch on the road (i.e. less grip) - I agree, its not worth the risk.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts