Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
This site gives good advice for 5 inch wheels and wider, so if you use a proportionately smaller size you should be OK. It it is possible to go beyond the sizes quoted at your own risk, of course.

I have used 145 wide tyres on 5.5inch rims, and currently use 185 wide tyres on 7 inch rims with no problems, in fact the car seems to corner better, as the tyres deform less under load.

You will find though, that wide tyres on narrow rims may cause the car to squirm while cornering - not a pleasant sensation!

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi, check this site out, there is a wheel rim calculator about 2/3 way down the article. It also explains everything you didnt want to know about tyres, wheels etc

Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

Hope it helps:)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
On my original Corolla with 4.5" x 13" steel wheels I managed to get them from 155/80 x 13 to 185/70 x 13 directionals (it increased the gearing a bit, but since it was only a 4speed that wasn't a bad thing).

Another factor which needs considering is clearance within the wheelarches.

All the best with your car.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
TYre Sizes

Why make life difficult - you gonna fit these yourself - use the experienced knowledge of a good supplier - not the Quik-fit variety as they tend not to have experience in this field. Bigger tyres don't mean better performance or roadholding. Ultimately it the suspension system and the driver that is the overiding factor - and remember the broader the tyre the less grip in icy or snowy conditions. If big tyres helped that much we would all be race or rally drivers. When rallying on soft ground or snow rally drivers opt for a narrower tyre in order to maintain grip. Also remember broad tyres make for a less comfortable ride and cause more wear on the suspension, etc. With sounding too technical car designers design the suspension systems to match a particular wheel and tyre size - so by changing ing the width of the tyre it can upet the steering and alignment. It's not in a tyre suppliers interest to tell you this as they would probably sell fewer tyres. No doubt big wheels an tyres look the part if you want ot pose but what beats me is how many people would notice when your travelling along unless they have superman vision. If you want to impress the girls have a wash and a shave and take them for a nice meal - quickest way to a womans heart any time.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
There's always room for a different view!

Noel, I know exactly what you mean about increasing the width of the tyres, but I think Ev just wanted to make a small adjustment to bring his car up to date - he's not talking about slamming the car on a set of 19" rims.

Another way to look at it would be, that I'm sure the car's suspension was originally designed to run on crossplies - should Ev seek these out also?:rolleyes:

The principle of increasing the width of tyre fitted was developed by Pirelli in the seventies and called the 'Plus One' option - this became more popular as low-profile tyres became available. So in a way, Ev is following a trend which has its roots from a time when his car was current.

Hope my comments don't cause offence - it is light-hearted discussion after all.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
:) NO probs Velsatified - no offence taken - I welcome a good livley discussion - see where your coming from - from what I see there us not likely to be any improvement in the safety or roadhandling. Maybe it's just down to what looks cool - it takes all sorts to make a world.:confused:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noel, I know exactly what you mean about increasing the width of the tyres, but I think Ev just wanted to make a small adjustment to bring his car up to date - he's not talking about slamming the car on a set of 19" rims.

Another way to look at it would be, that I'm sure the car's suspension was originally designed to run on crossplies - should Ev seek these out also?:rolleyes:

The principle of increasing the width of tyre fitted was developed by Pirelli in the seventies and called the 'Plus One' option - this became more popular as low-profile tyres became available. So in a way, Ev is following a trend which has its roots from a time when his car was current.

Hope my comments don't cause offence - it is light-hearted discussion after all.

well put paul:) thanks for that

anyone know of a good supplier of three stud 17" wheels(lol:):):)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts