Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would to much offset cause excessive wear on the inside of the front tyres? I seem to get through front tyres a bit quick for my liking and always due to wear on the inside edge (15mm) Balencing ok, tracking OK but the car has had alloys from new with 165/65/13 front and 155/65/13 rear. I'm thinking the alloys may have the wrong offset for the 165's hence the wear.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Slow down chris - you boy racer!:d

Seems very odd that you have different tyres on the front to the back. Are the wheels genuine Renault ones? Did the previous owner fit the wrong tyres to the front at some stage?
Has your tyre fitter any ideas what is causing the problem?
In Cornwall the stock excuse is you drive around too many roundabouts or you have power steering you turn the wheels when you are stationary!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi Chris i would of thought that offset would not do this, the offset is only the distance on full lock so the wheels do not buff on the inside of the wheel arch.Under inflated tyres wear on the out side edges and over inflated wears the middle part of the tyre and its tracking that will indeed wear the out side edge if its towing in it will rub the out side edge of the tyre and if its towing out it will rub the inside edge other than that all i can think of is the camber of the wheel may be off because of the tyre size??? iam not sure to be honest.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Just back from tyre fitter who reckons it should make no real difference, he also has the 94 1.4RT which is handy. Tracking ok so we are thinking Camber? He also confirms 165/65/13 is standard so I'm guessing previous owner tried to save a couple of quid on tyres
Hi Camber is may guess???

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Chris, I think it depends by how much the offset has changed (do you know? + or - 2or3 mm will not make much difference, 10 or 20 will. I think the Clio is ET38), the most likely symptoms would be very heavy steering and little self-centring, or a difficulty in keeping the car in a straight line, alternatively the inside or outside may make contact with the bodywork or the suspension causing edge wear.

An other alternative could be that the tyres are too narrow for the rims, what rim width are the alloys running, the size of tyre suggests 4.5-5.5J ... maybe 6J max, any more will cause excessive shoulder wear.

Finally the Camber .... I dont believe any Clio has adjustable camber (maybe the Cup cars?), and if it is out then the chassis has moved, or the turret bearings on the front suspension are shot causing excessive negative camber (or worse the turrets have moved ... excessive Yumping without a strut brace), positive camber is a BAD thing on a road car, if its the rear, then the suspension joints require overhaul or the subframe /axle is bent or twisted.

Also the tyre sizing with larger on the front ... I thought is would make for an adventurious ride when pushing on hard, with a lot of rear drifting!

Just my thoughts ... some have already been mentioned .... hopefully its something to think about :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
can anyone beat out tyre wear record. we are on our fourth set of back tyres and have covered 38k!!! on our megane sport tourer, we do carry PA and accordions in it at the weekends and had the tracking under testing at our cost renault said no!!! to paying under warranty, they say there is nothing wrong with it. so how can we only get 9.500 miles out of two tyres, they wear around the outer edges. Good points, the car handles really well when there is a load in the boot and it flys!!!

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quick update, I got underneath in the rain at the weekend and found am anti roll bar end bolt / bush badly worn. So I replaced both. The badly worn one had been moving a lot from the dents in the bolt. The steering certainly feels more positive since, have to keep an eye on the rubber.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts