Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a puncture which isn't repairable:mad: Using the space saver for now - rated at 180Kmph so I guess should be OK for a little while at least.

My quandry is what to do: the puncture is in the O/S front but the N/S front has 4mm of tread. Normally I'd replace both tyres at the same time to ensure same type and wear levels but at 150 a tyre (for replacement Mich Primacy extra load) wanted to check this wasn't wasting money - so- is it recommended to replace both front tyres? Rears still have 5mm tread. Also - the current tyres state Extra Load so I'm only looking at extra load replacements - not so much choice - seems I could also choose Continental, Dunlop SP01 both a little cheaper, or Sumo ST08 lots cheaper (£81) Any recommendations across these from Espace owners?

Thanks
Adam

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Stylo, as you state, they dont need to be changed in pairs, but at 4mm its more than 50% used ...
You dont say if you have TPM?, if not I'd change the rears for the front and put 1 new tyre on the rear ... (always put new tyres on the rear its much safer) ...

If you do have TPM .... mmmmm, IMHO, I would bite the bullet and buy 2 for the front ... and ask for your good tyre back, you can sell it on or keep it for one of the rears when needed.

Tyre makes ... if it were me I'd stick with the Michelins ... if you dont then make sure you get 101W load index tyres or higher . ... if you dont and have a prang... you may find your insurance will be null and void ... the car spec states 101 Extra Load ... I know its bizzare but they are heavy cars and as for W rated ... I wish any Espace could go that fast to need W rated tyres :rolleyes: .

Hope it helps:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - no TPM. Will do more on-line checking and get a pair for the front and keep/try and sell the good front.

Size is 255 55 17 so thanks but not going to work Spyderman.

Quick response is much appreciated.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
tyres for Espace

Hi,
I have a 2004 Grand Espace and it has TPM, so I am sure yours has too, (mine is the Privilege). If so, you must not swap tyres around as they are colour-coded for the TPM, special valves. This doesn't work with snow tyres or the spare, bye the way. At any rate, it is always safest to replace both front at the same time. Tyres here in the Czech Republic are more expensive, which is strange, becaese everything else is much cheaper, replaced rear wiper complete yesterday for £2.:eek:

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If the sidewall wasn't damaged (i.e. its only because of where the hole is in relation to the sidewall), and you don't have TPM, then you could always consider an inner tube on the punctured tyre.

Paul:)

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
you could always consider an inner tube on the punctured tyre.
Mmmmm something is niggling me ... I thought that you were not allowed to "tube" a tyre that was rated HR or above .... might be wrong ... cant really remember, just a niggle.

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts