Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

What are peoples thoughts on mixing tyre brands. On my car they are Michelins apart from the front nearside that is a different make and also a different tread pattern. This must have been done by the previous owners.

The car seems to drive OK - however at higher speed when braking (say over 50) there is a slight wobble in the steering wheel. Now reading other threads this may be more likely to do with the disks (aprox 50% worn - service 3 000 miles ago). The only thing I might look out other than taking it into a dealer is wether the discs are fully tightened to the hubs.

NThomson:cool:

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if they are different on each side at the front i would not at all be happy myself it would also be the same for the rear.But it would not bother me at all if the front was not the same as the back but as long as each side were the same i would be happy iam sure there are money people out there that would not agree but this is only my opinion i hope this helps a little.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Have to agree, tyres have different grip/wear/ride characteristics based upon tread design & compound. An extreme analogy would be wearing a trainer on one foot and a dress shoe on the other - both are the 'right' size, but one foot will feel at odds with the other and will impede smooth progress.

I can understand why you can get a mis-matched tyre - blow out or some other factor rendering an otherwise sound tyre unrepairable, and the person can't get one to match or doesn't want to buy an additional tyre, so it can happen.

If you have the ability to (i.e. no tyre sensors), I'd be inclined to put the 'odd one out' on the back axle, since most of your braking (and obviously all your steering) is done from the front end.

But I wouldn't worry unduly about it if you have to put up with it.

Paul:d

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

The two rear tyres will be due for replacement soon so I will ensure I get a pair of new ones put on the front and swap the others.

Do you think the wobble at braking could be influenced by the tyres?

NT

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wouldn't get too hung up on tyre makes and tread patterns as it makes so little difference to the overall braking braking co-efficiency, what will make a difference is brake caliper efficiency, Renault calipers slides and pads have a nasty habit of seizing in the carrier, causing poor braking power and shuddering under braking.
Also as an after thought, tyre pressures assist in good braking.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Do you think the wobble at braking could be influenced by the tyres?

NT
Hi there, although tyres can have uneveness caused by extreme skidding (which can flatten the surface), or from the car being stationary for a prolonged period/tyres being stored incorrectly - which can cause distortions. This would be apparent under more situations than when braking.

The wobble which you'll feel through the steering wheel whilst braking is the effect of a distorted brake disc.

Not dangerous in itself - as the car will still brake in a straight line and react as it should - but it can feel a bit unsettling through the steering wheel.

If you can feel this under light braking however, I would budget for replacing sooner than later as it's obviously more heavily distorted.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that.

Would you recomend pads and discs replaced at a dealer or is an independant garage just as good. Any preference on makes.

And don't say do it yourself - I have in the past, but don't like doing this on a newish car.

NT

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, I use an independent for my servicing & repairs on my newer vehicles (the older stuff, I'm more comfortable with).

I wouldn't try to use cheap alternatives - its a false economy to increase your braking distance...;)

O.E.M. standard, should be your minimum standard.

As for upgrades, I have no experience (therefore can't recommend), but remember, if you upgrade the discs, you need to upgrade the pads accordingly to get the most benefit in terms of stopping distance and 'feel' through the pedal.

The best compromise I would recommend would be to use an independent garage (that you know & trust) and get them to fit genuine Renault items - that way, you save on the price, but not at the expense of quality.

Hope that helps, all the best.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the advice - probably can't put a price against the wealth of experience that seems to be within this forum.

Hopefully this thread will also have been of use (and interest) to others.

Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts