Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Clio to the garage the other day and was told it needs four new tyres fitted as the current ones are not the correct speed (?) Can someone please explain what this means? Apparently they should be 88V X Load. The fact that I have been driving around with the wrong tyres on since I first bought the car 2 years ago from a dealer (I am the second owner) seems a bit strange. What damage, if any, would this do to the car and what are the real consequences of having the wrong tyres fitted? Thanks a lot!

O

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure what tyres you have now, but if they are the wrong load rating it could invalidate insurance, even if there is no real difference between them and the so called correct ones.

If they need changing anyway, OK, but I'd be interested in seeing how this can be placed on the dealer who sold you a non standard vehicle.

Bunch of crap if you ask me, it's not like you're on racing slicks, but insurers will do anything to prevent paying out.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
but I'd be interested in seeing how this can be placed on the dealer who sold you a non standard vehicle.
Good luck in proving this.

XL tyres have stiffer sidewalls, which is entirely understandable on heavy cars, or those which can be made 'heavy' (such as mpv's), with passengers & luggage.

On more regular cars, the stiffer sidewall gives a bit more protection to the alloy wheel, by dissipating jolts across the tyre & wheel.

As previously stated, if the tyres need replacing - get the proper ones, but if not - I'd just tell the garage that you'll source them from another outlet, then just use them until needed.

I understand the insurance angle, but you bought the car 2nd-hand (like most do), its unreasonable to check each & every component to ensure they comply with what was originally fitted. At the end of the day, the car is no more likely to have an accident than it has been any point in the last 2 years.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: i2010

·
Registered
60 Posts
if you give me the model and engine size i can give you the full spec ,but bear in mind you can always go up in load rating but never below the recommend specs

O

·
0 Posts
Good luck in proving this.
I don't think there would be much joy there, but what I meant was in the event of a claim being refused because of the tyres, would you be able to blame it on the dealer that supplied it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts