Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how the tyre sensor thingies work on a 52 plate Laguna? I think they are meant to have little coloured thingy things on the valves - is that right? Might they be missing? Mine doesn't seem to be working at all - the picture of the wheels pops up on the screen but it has no relevance at all to what the tyres are doing lol.

Also, do I have to have low profile tyres? I'm told they don't grip so well and they're also more expensive so can't I just have ordinary tyres? And if so, would I need new wheels?

Sorry for thickness - remember I'm female :confused:

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Hi,

The tyre sensors may have been removed and disabled by a previous owner as they are notorious for going wrong. As for tyres it is always best to fit the size and rating suggested by the manufacturer.

Low profile tyres normally help the handling of your vehicle but do provide a firmer ride. If you change the wheels then I would think you would have to inform your insurance company (as it would be a modification) and may have an adverse effect on handling of your vehicle.

Unfortunetely low profile tyres are usually more expensive than normal tyres but there are bargains to be had, it does depend on the amount of miles you are doing though.

If you do a large amount of miles I would reccomend premium brand tyres (Michellin, Continental etc) as they normally provide a better level of grip and last longer (this is my personal experience) but you do pay more for these tyres.

The best thing to do is to phone around some tyre fitters to get some prices.

This is entirely my opinion, if you want to change the wheels on your car I would seek professional advice.

I hope this helps and doesn't cloudy the water even further for you. :cool:

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Hi have you got sat nav fitted??where is the screen you see the car pic with the wheels on??you are right each sensor has a coloured ring this is to prevent you putting the wrong wheel on the wrong corner of the car as the sensor pick up (which is a small black box situated on the underside of the car passenger side around half way down)only picks up sensor signal when wheels are on the right corners:Front right is a yellow ring,front left is a green ring,rear right is a black ring and rear left a red ring.cheers Excavator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.

Yes, I've got satnav, and that's the screen where the tyres are meant to be shown. Well, the tyres are shown but it's just a picture of 4 blank wheels (whether they are pumped up or flat).

·
Premium Member
14,136 Posts
Hi the picture of the car and 4 wheels comes on the sat nav screen when you start the car up and the disapears after a few mins,to check your tyre pressures press the end of the wiper stalk right hand one,it will run through a series of settings m.pg ,how much fuel you got left ,how many miles you have travelled etc and amongst those will come a pic on the screen that is below the steering wheel between the spedo and the rev counter,this will show car pic with 4 wheels and what pressure is in each tyre.hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
most garages can switch off the annoying messages and warnings about tyres not reading the sensors properly.
you will only be able to go down to 16" size wheels as the brake calipers are too big to allow 15" wheels to be fitted.

the cheapest option is to hunt down x4 renault steel spare wheel rims from breakers yards, but they will need to be checked for corrosion/buckling and quality of the spare tyres.
or buy a set of nerw steel wheels and tyres from mytyres from germany (best prices online and a lot cheaper than qwAKfit) delivery can be as short as 3 days.

tyre sizes you need for 16" will be 205-55R16XL V (the XL is load rating, best to get XL's as renault prefer them) the V is speed rating higher than V rating is preffered.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Your tyre pressure monitoring has definitely been deisabled at some point. When disabled, all four wheels show, but don't alert to anything.

Have a look at your valves. They'll look like this picture if the sensor valves are still there - you can see the metal nut holding it in place.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys - that's very helpful. The valves do have the coloured thingy things on so I'm guessing that it's been disabled somewhere or other?

With regards to the tyres, do you mean that in order to get normal ones (not low profile) I'd need new actual wheels?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts