Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE - thank you for your answers

Hello,

I have a 1.6 2006 Renault Megane Dynamic, Petrol, automatic transmission and recently my Gearbox started to Leak.
I failed the MOT because of this.

UPDATE
So I have been at the shop and he explained that since he changed the sealant that sits in the gearbox between the torque converter (back in October) he suspects that is the actual torque converter that is causing the leaking (might be damaged) since the sealant is brand new (however he is not sure he hasn't taken the engine or gearbox out) and might be an issue that came with the car when I purchased it.
The car only started to leak now so it's unlikely he overflooded.
I have now booked a diagnostic test at the renault dealership next week so I will keep you updated.
Thanks again for your kind replies.
Please let me know what you think

Super mod..
Your first post has now been approved by me and has now gone live and open for comment.. good luck.. 馃檪

Registered
Hello,

I have a 1.6 2006 Renault Megane Dynamic, Petrol, and recently my Gearbox started to Leak.
I failed the MOT because of this. took it back to my original Mechanic (who had replaced the Oil and put new Sealant)
He just called me now and said its a problem with the Torque(?) a part is damaged/worn off and needs replacement.
however he cannot get a new part without getting a new Gearbox and ive been quoted 拢600 to fix this.
Car cost me 拢1.400 its in good condition and i would like to not sell it for parts as ill never make that money back.
any tips/advice?
thanks
I have no idea what your mechanic means by torque? Torque is the measured pulling power of the engine output. Although that is slightly less at the wheels in most cases. Anyway, moving on.

I'm assuming your mechanic may mean the differential has gone. Or he could also mean that your gears themselves or the pinion bearings have failed.

How does your mechanic know these parts have failed? If you had a leak from the gearbox and took for an MOT which your gearbox was still leaking at that point. I don't see how you could of caused major damage to your gearbox. When driving your car back from the MOT station. Did you hear any unusual noises, like grinding? You were obviously able to change the gears while driving, in order to get it back to your mechanic.

It could be that your gearbox seals have failed. Those seals are not going to be major expensive. They are also easy to change. But you will also need to buy more gearbox oil, which isn't cheap. As your driveshafts would need to be removed from the gearbox, which would leak out any remaining gearbox oil at that point.

拢600, your mechanic is taking the p.iss. I can see second hand gearboxes for sale for my Clio and Captur, for under 拢200. So if I worked that out with a Gearbox for me. That means your mechanic would make 拢400 labour. What a joke.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
No chance are you getting a new gearbox and torque converter for 拢600

Come back to us
We need to know, is it manual , or an automatic
If the leak was between the engine and box and if Auto, could be Torque converter ( NO way of knowing until removed )
But how would he have been able to seal it if its inside, without removing the Gearbox?

Reactions: HeavyLocksmith

Registered
Torque converter maybe.. ? OP has not said if its manual or automatic..

Come back to us
If the leak was between the engine and box and if Auto, could be Torque converter ( NO way of knowing until removed )
But how would he have been able to seal it if its inside, without removing the Gearbox?
My bad. I've done the usual and raced through the initial post. Phil, your most likely right. Torque convertor, that will be expensive. ours2012 for a new Gearbox, how much in the thousands are we talking? My post was referring to a used second hand manual gearbox. I've never actually looked at new gearboxes. Most likely because I can't justify paying that much.

Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
Auto box best part of 拢3.000 Manual, not much behind

Torque converter, close on a grand
Then fitting of either, even a cheap garage, at 拢45 a hour, your on 拢300 labour plus oil, and thats being nice, some boxes can take 8 hours depending what parts from one box to another needs swapping over

Reactions: HeavyLocksmith

Registered
Auto box best part of 拢3.000 Manual, not much behind

Torque converter, close on a grand
Then fitting of either, even a cheap garage, at 拢45 a hour, your on 拢300 labour plus oil, and thats being nice, some boxes can take 8 hours depending what parts from one box to another needs swapping over
Interesting. I've never looked into it. I've always cheaper out and bought second hand manual box. I like Auto box internals and how they operate. I just can't stand not being able to manually shift.

I know a torque convertor can cost well over 拢1000. I don't know why or how it happened. But since covid struck everywhere. I've been watching precision transmission youtube channel. They are way more technical than any manual box I've ever seen.

Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
I have a 1.6 2006 Renault Megane Dynamic, Petrol, and recently my Gearbox started to Leak.
I failed the MOT because of this. took it back to my original Mechanic (who had replaced the Oil and put new Sealant)
馃槙 :mad:

Sealant on WHAT exactly?

As a grumpy a.nal observer of b.astards and liars - this mechanic surely takes the cake.

If this is a normal auto of the era aka DP0, then the torque converter cannot possibly leak and also cannot possibly require replacement unless the vehicle was undrivable because of electronic moans or mechanical problems - if you look at the construction of the box and THIS torque converter you should agree - there is a single oil seal on the front of the input shaft of the auto and it rides on the output tube of the converter - if its leaking there (which I doubt since the vehicle was driven to MOT with no mention of electronic moans) you replace the seal, and not the converter itself.

I am willing to bet the twit didn't know what he was doing when he replaced the oil (complex level measurement procedure) and overfilled the box - result is the notorious DP0 spewing the contents of its stomach via the breather pipe if that's the case.

Idiot

Registered
I am willing to bet the twit didn't know what he was doing when he replaced the oil (complex level measurement procedure) and overfilled the box - result is the notorious DP0 spewing the contents of its stomach via the breather pipe if that's the case.
^^ This seems the most likely analysis.
If HeavyLocksmith can come back to us with more info and a picture then maybe we can advise further. We have the same engine and Auto gearbox in our Clio.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
^^ This seems the most likely analysis.
If HeavyLocksmith can come back to us with more info and a picture then maybe we can advise further. We have the same engine and Auto gearbox in our Clio.
I am here on the mechanic right now, I will ask these questions thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #13

Come back to us
Thanks, it's an automatic transmission.
Initially the problem was with the oil, he bought cause the car had a guarantee we took the car to this mechanic. He said the oil was dry, and needed to be replaced.
Everything else on the car is ok

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I have no idea what your mechanic means by torque? Torque is the measured pulling power of the engine output. Although that is slightly less at the wheels in most cases. Anyway, moving on.

I'm assuming your mechanic may mean the differential has gone. Or he could also mean that your gears themselves or the pinion bearings have failed.

How does your mechanic know these parts have failed? If you had a leak from the gearbox and took for an MOT which your gearbox was still leaking at that point. I don't see how you could of caused major damage to your gearbox. When driving your car back from the MOT station. Did you hear any unusual noises, like grinding? You were obviously able to change the gears while driving, in order to get it back to your mechanic.

It could be that your gearbox seals have failed. Those seals are not going to be major expensive. They are also easy to change. But you will also need to buy more gearbox oil, which isn't cheap. As your driveshafts would need to be removed from the gearbox, which would leak out any remaining gearbox oil at that point.

拢600, your mechanic is taking the p.iss. I can see second hand gearboxes for sale for my Clio and Captur, for under 拢200. So if I worked that out with a Gearbox for me. That means your mechanic would make 拢400 labour. What a joke.
Its an automatic transmission, I'm here now and I will get a bit more clear answers, thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #15

Sealant on WHAT exactly?

As a grumpy a.nal observer of b.astards and liars - this mechanic surely takes the cake.

If this is a normal auto of the era aka DP0, then the torque converter cannot possibly leak and also cannot possibly require replacement unless the vehicle was undrivable because of electronic moans or mechanical problems - if you look at the construction of the box and THIS torque converter you should agree - there is a single oil seal on the front of the input shaft of the auto and it rides on the output tube of the converter - if its leaking there (which I doubt since the vehicle was driven to MOT with no mention of electronic moans) you replace the seal, and not the converter itself.

Idiot
HI, no other issues on the car. Apart from initially the Gears were not changing properly. I then brought to this mechanic (the auto trader recommended because I had 3 month warranty) he changed the oil and cleaned it a bit.

Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
Thanks, it's an automatic transmission.
Initially the problem was with the oil, he bought cause the car had a guarantee we took the car to this mechanic. He said the oil was dry, and needed to be replaced.
Everything else on the car is ok
I'd say since there is a 3 months guarantee you simply go demand your money back - the repair on this thing is going to cost an arm and a leg and IMO there will always be doubt on the quality of the work done given the mechanic's screw-up in addition to the problems you already described before it's gone to him

You do not want this vehicle :eek: 馃槙

Registered
Discussion Starter #17

Come back to us
thank you , pllease see update

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I'd say since there is a 3 months guarantee you simply go demand your money back - the repair on this thing is going to cost an arm and a leg and IMO there will always be doubt on the quality of the work done given the mechanic's screw-up in addition to the problems you already described before it's gone to him

You do not want this vehicle :eek: 馃槙
Thank you, car wa bought August last year, cant return it

Registered
Discussion Starter #19

hi, thank you, no noises, car runs really smooth. please see update

Registered
thank you , pllease see update
Ah, so the mechanic pointed out that the torque convertor is at fault? I don't know the entire ins and out of auto boxes. But I know that it's not as simple as just saying it's the convertor. There is a valve body under the trans that pushes fluid and pressure on your clutch packs. The clutch pack for those particular gears could also be on the way out. Unless the trans is stripped down. It could planetary gears, down the clutch packs, down to the valve body parts, or the convertor. But how would one know if the convertor is entirely at fault?

I'm as curios as the next person. But I know Auto trans parts are really expensive.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts