Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am currently driving a 2003 03 plate 3.5v6 vel satis auto, I have owned this car for just over a year. Although generally happy with the car it has recently had intermitent starting fault.
Occasionally the car seems to require 3-4 pushes of the start button before she will fire up. The car has been back to the dealer several times, first for a new battery and then more recently they kept the car for 3 days but nothing found. Just last week I had a new card reader installed but this week the problem has returned.
Does anybody have experience of similar problems or any advice? As I say Im otherwise happy with the car but feel if this does not get rectified soon will be time to chop it in.

Many thanks. Shaun.

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Shaun.

We have a number of VelSatis owners on the Forums, I am sure someone will be able to assist you shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Shaun

Welcome to the forum - another owner of an unusual Renault!

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some help.

Regards

Hugh

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there Shaun, I've got a similar issue (occasionally needing a second push), but as mine is a diesel - I put it down to the glowplugs not having heated up for the engine to fire - it doesn't turn over until then.

Obviously, with yours being petrol, then that can't be the reason.

Does yours turn over at every press of the start button, or is it a case of pushing and nothing happens?

Paul:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there Shaun, I've got a similar issue (occasionally needing a second push), but as mine is a diesel - I put it down to the glowplugs not having heated up for the engine to fire - it doesn't turn over until then.

Obviously, with yours being petrol, then that can't be the reason.

Does yours turn over at every press of the start button, or is it a case of pushing and nothing happens?

Hi Paul thanks for your reply, unfortunately on pressing my start button I get nothing no turning of the starter, this will be the case until 3rd maybe 4th press at which time it will fire up as usual.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
This might sound very rudimentary (apologies if it does), but I wonder if the dealer has tested the start switch itself (and connections thereof)? It sounds more electrical than software to me (for what its worth).

Must be quite un-nerving, not being sure if the car will start.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Happens to me from time to time. Take the card out, put it back in, try again. Sometimes three or four times....it will be on the list next time it oges in to the dealer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,
Similar problem here, I used to be able to pop my card in the reader, then tap the start button and the engine would fire up. Now I have to HOLD the start button in while it starts? I seem to think that a little green light used to come on on the start button which doesn't seem to be happening any more?

Thoughts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts