Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 02 Clio has been runing like crap for weeks now. MAP sensor and Lambda Sensor have both been changed. Because when it was plugged into the code reader the codes related to those sensors.

Now that they have been changed, the car runs fine for a while. The suddenly the revs will drop, and the dreaded electronic warning light comes on on the dash and it will run like crap :(

Can't afford to be runing backwards and forwards to garages all the time. So someone I know ran the code reader on it again, and now I'm getting 4 undocumented codes.

Does anybody know what these coded belong to please??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Is it the Solus?? snap on one!
If it was scanned at a garage they should have a idea or two.
Renault use a different protocol to other manufacturers.
Is the solus compatable with renault?
The person who done the scan should know as i've no experience with these particular scanners apart from them being particularly expensive.

:)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,415 Posts
Not a clue on the code but last time I had that problem it was the engine temp sensor

·
5,415 Posts
Half way is fine but there may be 2 sensors one with1 wire for the gauge the other with 2 or more for the electronics that's the one that may be the problem try unplugging it and cleaning the contacts, the codes may have to be cleared or may clear after a few starts even if it's not the problem they are not that expensive so maybe worth changing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi codes as follows
4100 =MAP sensor circuit
4113 = Vehicle speed sensor circuit
4166 = Down stream 02 sensor circuit
4222 = Throtle stop programming not performed

Fault code 4113 & 4222 need resolving for the issue you describe basically ECU needs speed signal from wheels so it knows when idle is required(ie coming to a stop) and 4222 this function will need performing so idle butterfly knows relative postion to throtle pedal.Hope this helps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi codes as follows
4100 =MAP sensor circuit
4113 = Vehicle speed sensor circuit
4166 = Down stream 02 sensor circuit
4222 = Throtle stop programming not performed

Fault code 4113 & 4222 need resolving for the issue you describe basically ECU needs speed signal from wheels so it knows when idle is required(ie coming to a stop) and 4222 this function will need performing so idle butterfly knows relative postion to throtle pedal.Hope this helps
Hi Simon, thanks for this info regarding the undocumented codes.

Back in September 2010 before I owned the car, it had the coil pack and plugs changed. Since then the car has pretty much struggled to run properly, with various codes being thrown up all the time. The car has visited various mechanics and various auto electricians, and not one of them had a clue on what was wrong with it the car.

I acquired the car about 7 or 8 weeks ago, being told that I take it on knowing it has a problem with it. 1 mechanic and 1 auto electrician later the car was still not running correctly.

Until I had a little idea, change the plugs again and fuel filter, because at times it felt like the car was struggling for fuel.
Guess what I found, the coil pack was loose...hahaaaaaa
The car has been running perfectly ever since, nearly 2 weeks without cutting out or dying at junctions...
It's took me a woman to fix a car that had nothing going for it at all. That everyone had given up hope of finding out what was wrong with it!!!
:d

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right I'm not happy, right after I posted the previous message I went out in the car and low and behold, it's started playing up again...I'm out of ideas now...the above codes mean nothing to me...I don't know where to start :(
Just read on here that the Vehicle Speed Sensor can get interference off the radio, if it's not an original radio. So I'm going to disconnect the radio because it's not the original radio and see what happens.
The thing is, the car has run perfectly normal for over a week without any problems...it just doesn't make sense!!!!!!!!!

·
5,415 Posts
Ok Maisie I don't know were the ECU is on your car maybe nr the battery or on the bulkhead behind the engine, as it got a metal cover if so is it loose as it been cutting into the wiring going into the ECU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Maisie I don't know were the ECU is on your car maybe nr the battery or on the bulkhead behind the engine, as it got a metal cover if so is it loose as it been cutting into the wiring going into the ECU.
Hi Ralph, it's at the back on the engine near the bulkhead, there's no cage it has already been removed for whatever reason....but I recently had an auto electrician check all the wiring coming from the ECU and the wiring is fine.

I don't understand that once I sorted out the coil pack...and made sure everything was were it should be. That it ran for over a week, normally.
I just don't get it!!!!

·
5,415 Posts
It may be worth unbolting the coil pack cleaning up the surfaces that touch then bolting it back just in case it's a earth thing check any connections round there maybe get some contact cleaner and use that to clean them up.
Any bad connections or earths on the coils and high tension side of things can lead to rf interference that could
effect other circuits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ralph , I'll give that a go tomorrow....I have noticed that the last couple of days it's been raining...wondering if it could be a damp issue too...

Coil pack coming off tomorrow, to be cleaned.

·
5,415 Posts
The coil packs are known to give problems and would be likely to be worse in the wet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....Car is offically dead now, before I got chance to check the coil pack. It started chugging really badly, lost power and now sounds like a tank. I managed to get it home doing probably about 5 mph. Have looked for anything obvious and can not see anything. The thing I did notice is that the light shaped like an engine is flashing madly, this is something I've not had before :(

Looks like I've got no choice now but to get rid of it...it's been 7 - 8 weeks of "it might be this" or "it might be that"...And "try this"

Had enough now!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just very quickly to let you all know that the car has now been sorted. After the car being seen by many mechanics and auto electricians that didn't know what they were doing, I decided I was going to do something.
I followed the instructions for the cleaning of the throttle body. And discovered that the idle sensor was covered in "crap" after a thorough clean of sensor and throttle body the car is now running perfectly!!!
Thanks for all your help everyone!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.