Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a odd problem with my clio mk2, there is a hole on the rear body panel next to the fuel cap (See picture). Thing is its failed its MOT on this yet when I took it to a local garage they were unsure why and what to do.

The garage that failed the car didn't do bodywork and the garage I took it to for the bodywork doesn't do MOT's. Can I get a 3rd party bit that can be "tacked" to fill the hole and still allow the filler cap to be fitted.

I'm not sure what can be do so turning to the experts here for advice and help.

Cheers

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
The only thing i can see that they would fail it on is security of the filler neck (ie: it could fall off).
Tank out, filler neck out, weld a plate in. Looks a pig of a job though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply.

They failed it on that fact the hole is within 30cm of the seat belt mounting point and not the fuel pipe at risk. If I can get the hole "covered" I was told it would pass as its a grey area of the MOT rules. The fact the hole is on the body work not the structual part of the car means it just need patching, even the guy who MOT'ed it debated for ages then just covered his back (can't blame him for that) and failed it.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If its a 'patch-up' job, you can do it yourself.

Apply a lot of underseal through the hole, then cut a piece of aluminium mesh to cover the hole, then some Plastic Padding bodyfiller to seal over it.

It'll only become expensive if you want it to look 'factory', but that would get it through its mot.

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its a 'patch-up' job, you can do it yourself.

Apply a lot of underseal through the hole, then cut a piece of aluminium mesh to cover the hole, then some Plastic Padding bodyfiller to seal over it.

It'll only become expensive if you want it to look 'factory', but that would get it through its mot.

HTH

Paul
Cheers paul, thats a good idea :d
I still have the fuel filler flap so how would you suggest I reattach that as well, do I sort of fill the hole with it in place so the filler just bonds to the cap support?

One garage suggested I cut the area from breakers clio and then they would tack it over the current body work but that sounded alot of work and I need this fix on the super cheap as I have to sort a couple of other bits out too.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
What you can do (and I know this will sound a bit 'Heath Robinson' here), but you can get a normal door hinge and bond it onto the inside of the flap, remove the original bracket (which is redundant anyway, since it has nothing to affix to), then use a few self-tappers to attach the flap into the upper section of the recess. In essence making the flap hang down.

Done well, it should look as it would normally, the filler cap has a lock (so is therefore secure), and the hole will be plugged.

The choices are limited because of access issues, but I think that would work if you take your time.

A good adhesive I can recommend is Tiger Seal.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: Forcefire

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Not a problem, let us know how you get on.

Paul

Reactions: Forcefire

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya poeple,

Quick update, the hole is filled and my car passed the MOT. I took your advice paul and filled the hole. I just used some chemical metal to fill the hole and around the fuel inlet after cleaning all the rust out.

Its not a nice smooth finish but I'm just get some normal filler to smooth it all out now, spray it with white paint (car's white) and it will look ok then just going to drill a hole, refit the flap and it will look like normal from the outside.

In total its going to cost £25 and a couple of hours of my time so a nice cheap fix :d

Thanks once again for all the help and advice given, you lot are the stars :)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, thanks for the update.

Glad it all worked out, and at a price that suits the pocket.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts