Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Clio 2005 3 door mk2 model I think and the clips that hold the window in place when using the window have snapped, the window literally came out, I had to put the window back in and physically slide the window up to keep it closed. Anyway does any one know the specific name for the clips, what would I need to search for in eBay?
I want to attempt to fix it myself as the place that fixed both windows when neither worked at all charged me £630 just to get them working, just replaced the regulators if I can remember correctly so ideally don’t wanna go back to them as I’m pretty sure they will charge me an arm and a leg just for a few plastic clips.
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,747 Posts
Search for Clio window Clips in Ebay.
Make sure you get the right ones and for front or back.
Usually not too bad a job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have no idea what they look like I only have a picture that I took of when they snapped and not much to go on as only can see a little bit. When I pulled the window back up a snapped piece flicked out

·
23,747 Posts
Take the door card off.... both sides.
That way you will know.
On Scenics they were colour coded, white and green depending on front or rear, not sure if same on Clio.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,045 Posts
How long ago were the windows fixed?
With the door card off you might have the opportunity to look at putting something under the glass to hold it up so you can drive around until the bits are put in. Short lengths of 2x1 timber dropped into the door can do the trick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the regulators put in, in august. The window stays in no problem I just can’t use it, so having to park is a pain I have to inch slightly forward and open the door to get tickets to open the barriers.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,045 Posts
August is not too long ago. Whoever put them in should be taking some sort of responsibility for the work they did.

·
Administrator
13,078 Posts

This thread may help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
August is not too long ago. Whoever put them in should be taking some sort of responsibility for the work they did.
I contacted them and told them what had happened and they said because it’s the clips that hold the window in place they would charge for it repairing as it’s nothing to do with the work they did on it last time, I told them that after I paid £630 and hadn’t even made my last payment on the window repair, I honestly didn’t think I should pay but they insisted I have to.
considering they know what the issue is they told me to take my car down so they could look and see what it is, however, I haven’t bothered asI know they charge £66 just to look, they didn’t confirm they was gunna charge this but didn’t wanna go all the way there for them to say I have to pay the looking fee for me to have a wasted journey.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,045 Posts
Clairie. admittedly I am far away but this sounds like sharp practice to me. To charge 600 odd notes in August for both regulators and then try to walk away from the clips breaking at Christmas is stretching my credulity quite a lot.
I don't know how things work over there but the Trading Standards people spring to mind. Can you get a second opinion from another garage? Explain to them why you are a bit pi**ed with the situation. Get that invoice out and let us know what is on it.

·
23,747 Posts
To me there are limited options about what went wrong.
They replaced the regulators but not the clips....given the poor record these clips have, new ones would have been good practice
They mucked up the job so the clips failed.
Coincidence.... I am not a believer in coincidence.

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,188 Posts
Simple temporary method of holding glass up is to use suction cups something similar to this

:)

These look the same but a lot cheaper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the windows being electric would I need to take it to an auto mechanic or can any ordinary mechanic do it?

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
4,045 Posts
Any mechanic worth his salt has done window regulators and is familiar with the clip problem and the vagaries of electrical plugs and switches. No need for an auto electrician imho.
Has the invoice turned up yet or is it in a safe place :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It may be in my car folder, I did give it to my ex husband to look at but can’t remember if he kept or gave me it back 🤦‍♀️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts