Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi well i have to say iam feeling much better than i did yesterday and my wallet is much lighter as well:(

As you all know i had to change the wheel bearing, i have got the old wheel bearing out of the ABS hub and off the stub,the new one will be pressed into the ABS hub and the stub on Friday,i have got the old ball joint out off the wishbone and the wishbone off the car ready to press the new ball back in,iam very lucky as it has not been done before because if it had i would have to buy a completed wish bone at the cost of £85+VAT from my local motor factors.

On doing all this work i have to say its been a nightmare for me it has all went against me from the start i had to cut the ball joint off and replace it and also the track rod end arm was also replaced because i thought at the start of the job it was it????so i have just went ahead and also replaced the drop down link stabilizer and the anti roll bar bushings as well the only two bushing i left was the two on the the wishbone arm that site in the sub frame but they are in very good order,so to date it has cost me.

Wheel bearing £52.88

Track rod end arm £28.48

Ball joint £15.51

Drop link stabilizer £10.41

Anti roll bar bushings £13.76

ball joint,wheel bearing pressed in £20

My Time £ priceless

£126.50:crazy: :steam: :steam: :steam:

I will give you a update later in the week when the car is rolling again all the best Donald.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Donald, check the tyre for stones.:rofl: :rofl:

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
I know its a bit late Donald, but I take it your leg is all greased up with-in spec, and its been discounted as the source of the knock :p

Just like the VW ad, only that was a squeeky earing!

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know its a bit late Donald, but I take it your leg is all greased up with-in spec, and its been discounted as the source of the knock :p

Just like the VW ad, only that was a squeeky earing!
Sorry iam :confused: what do you mean, but on say that knowing my luck it will not be any of the above parts that i have changed apart from the wheel bearing it was hinging there its a wonder it did not scream at me to be changed:d

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Sorry iam :confused: what do you mean, but on say that knowing my luck it will not be any of the above parts that i have changed apart from the wheel bearing it was hinging there its a wonder it did not scream at me to be changed:d

It was a poor attempt at humour, suggesting that maybe your leg was causing the knock you were hearing when cornering ... :eek: ..... If you remember back about 10yrs or so, VW ran a series of ads, where the driver of a VW Golf took his car to a garage as the squeek he was hearing and couldnt find was driving him mad .... it turned out to be his girlfriends dangling earing that was squeeking and not the car ... the tag line ... "if only everything was a reliable as a Golf"

:)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a poor attempt at humour, suggesting that maybe your leg was causing the knock you were hearing when cornering ... :eek: ..... If you remember back about 10yrs or so, VW ran a series of ads, where the driver of a VW Golf took his car to a garage as the squeek he was hearing and couldnt find was driving him mad .... it turned out to be his girlfriends dangling earing that was squeeking and not the car ... the tag line ... "if only everything was a reliable as a Golf"

:)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I remember it on saying that my wife told me after doing all this and waiting for the other parts to be pressed she tell me that there is a tin of de icer at her side that is rolling about in her door pocket:crazy: God i hope its not that:d

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
i thought it might be something silly like that.:rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
1 Posts
espace knocking sound

I have a mark 3 espace which has done 80,000, has been well looked after up until last year when my ex-wife had it it, anyway, there is now a knocking sound when going over bumps, pot ho;es eyc and extremely annoying. I have tried everything but not mechanically minded. I have even stood up on footwells and bounced car up and down but no noise, only seems to be happening when driving and I would say passenger side but not sure. Originally thought it was the tyre underneath or even rear plastic bits behind rear wheels as they are loose but doesnt seem so. Worried about this as sounds expensive to fix and dont really have the money and my service is due too. Does anyone know what i am to look for, obvious things?

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a mark 3 espace which has done 80,000, has been well looked after up until last year when my ex-wife had it it, anyway, there is now a knocking sound when going over bumps, pot ho;es eyc and extremely annoying. I have tried everything but not mechanically minded. I have even stood up on footwells and bounced car up and down but no noise, only seems to be happening when driving and I would say passenger side but not sure. Originally thought it was the tyre underneath or even rear plastic bits behind rear wheels as they are loose but doesnt seem so. Worried about this as sounds expensive to fix and dont really have the money and my service is due too. Does anyone know what i am to look for, obvious things?
If i had to guess my first port of call would be your ball joint? drop link stabilizer? track rod end,it could be other things but that would be a good starting point,the ball joint in the Mk III CAN ONLY BE CHANGED ONCE:crazy: and then the complete wishbone with ball joint needs to be replaced:crazy: and i have priced this before from my local independent and i think its around £80 for the complete wishbone with ball joint,drop link is about £10 and the track rod is about £17 and if your ball joint has not been replaced before thats around £25 and the way to check this by looking at the ball joint from the underside and if there is a semi-circular mark out of the ball joint that means it has been changed before and can't be done again and as i said you will need to buy and complete wishbone,

Hope this helps a little all the best Donald

1 - 16 of 16 Posts