Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, so recently converted the trafic to a manual and got rid of the robot that was forever giving me problems.
So conversions all but done but when engine running and put it in gear, I bring up the clutch and it is biting right as my foot comes off the pedal, so you feel it bite but the van doesn't move.
I have tried many ways of bleeding it but nothing is working, its had a new clutch and slave/bearing whilst everything was out.
Just hoping someone can point me into the right direction to what could cause such a high bite on the clutch?

It's a 2006 renault trafic 2.5 dci 140 with a pk6 gearbox.

Many thanks

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,001 Posts
Pedals adjusted correctly ..
Its hard to offer advice when not at the van..
But Renault do suffer with high biting point..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No adjustments on pedal, and the biting point is so high it's like it's not fully released when foot off the pedal.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
I think the answer is probably in your last comment. The clutch seems to be not fully released. I'm not familiar with the semi-auto set-up, but usually the clutch assembly is different to the manual. You say however that you've changed the clutch and cylinder so that should have sorted that problem. It sounds like at rest the clutch is still being partially depressed so perhaps the parts are incorrect?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the answer is probably in your last comment. The clutch seems to be not fully released. I'm not familiar with the semi-auto set-up, but usually the clutch assembly is different to the manual. You say however that you've changed the clutch and cylinder so that should have sorted that problem. It sounds like at rest the clutch is still being partially depressed so perhaps the parts are incorrect?
Thank you for the reply, I popped the box back out to check the clutch and replace the slave, how ever I may have found the problem. See if you can see what I found 🤦🏼‍♂️🤣 something rogue got in.....

Attachments

·
41,001 Posts
Someone to strong throwing gearbox in, looks like Input shaft has forced splines forward on clutch plate..

But cannot see tother side, where Gearbox input shaft would be entering only Flywheel side of the clutch plate

·
41,001 Posts
Ouch,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes well I didnt sleep last night thinking that was the problem, got it back together enough to try it this morning and it's better but still wont bite enough to stall with handbrake on or even try to bump it up a small curb 😡 pissing me off now, I even replaced the master and slave yesterday.

·
41,001 Posts
is it possible to move the gear box away fro the engine with washers

So you would have Bolt, gearbox, washer then Block
Just a suggestion, if this goes T1ts up, and you drop one inside the bell housing
Then its another Ouch moment

Cannot remember if there was a Back plate on these.. and no idea if the flywheels are different but would help in your diagnosing of the issue

But I remember years ago, had a ford in that had a clutch fitted and the plate between the gearbox and engine had been left out ..

Was a real head scratcher at the time , and after stripping the gearbox off, then noticed
( And the clown had thrown this plate away, but said nothing )

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Did the clutch come in a sealed box? I'm wondering if this is a faulty return sent back out. Get the clutch kit swapped, I reckon it's faulty, you'd be surprised how many are. What make is it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So sorry about delay on replies, I been out stripping the box out again, I been suspicious of this flywheel...so I got hold of a spare I had with the old engine in storage which came off a g9u engine from a trafic and NOT a master. They flywheels are noticeable different. The master one is on the left. I put the spare on and my clutch again, started to put the box back in but gave up for the night. I think the few mm difference will make a massive difference on the bite. I have also cleaned the one I put back in right up with a wire brush and Emery cloth.

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
9,483 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Good luck Darren, hope you resolve the problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So just a quick update, not to exiting as I got it to where I could out it back on the floor and try the clutch, but how ever the battery is flat so it's on charge.
Whilst I was farting about I went to fit the intercooler back on and it had oil run out of it, not sure but got a feeling the turbo is spitting it out now, but will look at that once it's running and driving.

·
41,001 Posts
Intercoolers Collect oil. ( NEVER come across one that hasn't )
Would just give it a clean , before condemning turbo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Right so I got it all together with the flywheel that should have been in the van, and the clutch renault supplied, it wasnt a flat battery the van had it was the clutch pressed against the gearbox, left some nice gouge Mark's on the inside of the box.

So I had a couple used spare clutch covers so checked them out and one was thinner to look at so I stuck that in with the new clutch plate, got it all back together, and bled it up, and hey presto I had a working clutch and low bite, but as it was a little crunchy going into gear I started to bleed it again and completly lost drive, I can now start it in gear with no clutch pressed lol...it was late and raining by then so I gave up for the night.

So today I shall get more brake fluid and get bleeding again.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,190 Posts
I can now start it in gear with no clutch pressed lol..
That doesn't sound like a bleeding problem unless you have compressed air stuck in the system holding the clutch off?

Once bled, jam the clutch pedal to the floor and leave it that way overnight...gives any remaining trapped air chance to escape via master cylinder

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont know I'm ready to give up again on this thing. As the clutch cover I got was to fat and scored the inside of the box, I put one on I had kicking about which was thinner, when put everything back together and bled the clutch, I had drive on the pedal but crunched slightly going into gear, so I bled it again and lost drive and can almost get it into gear with engine running and no clutch depressed. I'm thinking the slave maybe holding the clutch on even when the pedal is released. May have to pop the box out again and check the slaves. So close yet so far. If I can get the clutch to work then I can finally drive the van after 7 months owning it...( only able to work on it in spare time)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts