Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Please can somebody help me with this:

Yesterday, I stripped the dash down underneath the steering wheel to get to the steering lock control box.

It was loose / rattling about so I tightened the one bolt that holds it in place.

I put everything back together and then when I tried to start the car I heard the steering lock click three times, then "Steering Locked" appeared on the dash with the service light. The immobiliser light won't change state either - just keeps flashing no matter what I do.

I didn't unplug anything until after this had happened (local garage told me over the phone to try unplugging the lock control box for 5mins then plugging in and retrying - this didn't work.)

I also disconnected the battery for 20mins and retried - this didn't work.

I've also locked the car and left it for 20mins and retried - this didn't work.)

I've moved the steering wheel slightly while trying to start (like you do when the lock's stuck on due to the wheels not being straight) - This didn't work.

So now I have a car that's sat outside the house and won't do anything. I need the car for work so I'm screwed until it's fixed :(

Can anyone advise? The "Steering Locked" message suggests that it's just the steering lock that's at fault, but could it be an immobiliser issue?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Andy.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
I don't think the problems are unrelated - I'd loosen off the bolt you tightened to the slackness it was yesterday, and see if that makes a difference. It could be that it was maybe overtightened, and is now restricting movement.

HTH

Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I thought too so I did slacken the bolt again and have messed about with it all afternoon yesterday but it wouldn't solve it.

The bolt is a bit strange - it's got a reverse thread on it so you have to turn it the wrong way for it to start coming out..but then after about 3mm it starts tightening and won't come out any further :confused:

Just got a quote for taking the car on a truck to Renault - £50.

Also spoke to Renault they said that if they can diagnose it within 1 hour they won't charge anything...

Think it's worth getting it transported to Renault?

Cheers,
Andy

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
It depends on how much confidence you have in them.

It may well work out cheaper than someone with no experience of renault idiosyncracies potentially damaging what might just need adjusting.

£50 doesn't sound too bad for a recovery - consider breakdown cover when funds permit in the future.

Keep us updated.

Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll certainly keep you informed of what happens.

May not get looked at until Friday but I'll let you know.

Ironic thing is, I was very nearly going to get full AA cover last week (with parts and labour cover) because I get a 30% discount through work....

Put it off just to be safe with cash for the rest of the month :(

Thanks for the advice Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just one more question -

I have a friend who's offered to bring his mobile diagnostic equipment to see if he can solve it.

But it's not a Renault Clip device - as it's a fault with the immobiliser or steering lock, a Clip device is essential, correct?

Cheers. Just don't want him to waste his time.

:)

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
I honestly couldn't say Andy (I've never used diagnostics on any car).

I still think its 'mechanical' in nature rather than electrical - something may have been coming loose (causing the rattling noise), you may have inadvertedly loosened it further (assuming you didn't know about the reverse thread), and its now somehow locked the column.

Sorry if that sounds like a 'cop-out', but I always believe in dealing with the obvious first.

Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you may be right.

If he can bring his diagnostics (as it'll be done for free) in the next day or so, I'll eliminate that possibility first.

But I agree that it sounds more mechanical than anything else;
The keycard works, the start button and pedal switches are fine, it gets to the point where the lock is supposed to disengage and then you can hear the lock click three times (like it's trying to unlock but it's stuck).

He also mentioned he may be able to get a flatbed to transport my car but it'll need a winch to get it on there...I'll wait and see what he says...

Cheers :)
Andy

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
what diagnostic is it if its snapon it may well be able to test the steering lock, i know with the clip you can do this its just a shame no 1 close to you has a clip scanner maybe we should start a thread with( have diagnostic software willing to help outher mebers thread):cool: keep us updated mate, shame your not in glasgow bud as i have the clip software

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi hoochy sorry I didn't reply earlier - all I know is that the diagnostic thing he's got is the mobile one like what the AA have.

But some good news - there's a guy at the end of my street who has a truck with a winch, he's coming at 8.30 tomorrow to load my car onto it and take it to Renault - he'll do it for £15.00

Better than the £50.00 quote I got yesterday! :)

The service guy at Ren said he'll look at it (including connecting to the Clip Diagnostics) for up to an hour for free. So hopefully they'll diagnose it within an hour, then I can either fix it myself or get them to do it (depending on price).

Only thing is, the steering lock will not come off the steering column - the bolt won't come out.

I've heard about this on another Ren forum and the guy ended up spending £1800 on a new steering column with lock :(

I've found a used steering column & lock for £135 so that's my escape plan...

Thnx,
Andy.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all,

Update:

Car went to Renault this morning on a truck.

Just got a phone call from Service saying that the car needs a new steering lock (used ones won't work as they need coding from new).

He said it will (hopefully) be ready by COB Tuesday...
at a total cost of £413.09!!! He's only charging me £40.00 for the labour, it's the part that's expensive.

Mastercard time again then...

I'll let you know how it goes & when I get it back.

Cheers,
Andy

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Good lord, what a price for a part.

Did he say whether the bolt-tightening had made the situation worse?

Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, he didn't mention it...

I'm guessing by tightening the bolt, I probably just made it fail sooner - either way it was knackered.

I think it's safe to assume that once they start to come loose they need replacing - similar to the rain sensors I suppose - a useful piece of info for anybody with this issue in the future.

I'm just glad it'll be sorted - and I get my beloved car back :)

Another piece of useful information here:
The service man said that the steering lock is not meant to come off easily (for obvious security reasons). So the bolt that I thought was stuck (which holds the lock in place), is in fact designed to stay in. He said that the steering lock would have to be forced off the steering column in order to replace it.
I asked him if there was a chance of damaging the steering column by doing this, and he answered no.

Very expensive job indeed but it's one of those "Renault only" parts so I won't get it cheaper anywhere else.

Andy :)

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi all,

I got my car back tonight, all fixed :)

Happy to have the tourer back, nice and comfy I've missed it this weekend!

£413 as Renault said, although they also promised that they'd valet it for me - it was an absolute state when I picked it up, they hadn't even touched it, it was dirtier than when I dropped it off!

*******s....

But good news on the fix!

:) Andy

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Thanks for the update Andy.

You'll prefer that they kept their word about the price, rather than regards the valeting, I'm sure.

Paul

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the update Andy.

You'll prefer that they kept their word about the price, rather than regards the valeting, I'm sure.

Paul
Oh yes, definately.

Although, I just got a call from them to see if I was "happy with the service I'd received" and I told them no, because it hadn't been cleaned.

They were supposed to wash and hoover it, but to say sorry they're going to do a full valet today for me - just going to drop it off in a minute :)

If you don't ask, you won't get :p

Andy

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts
Being honest is always the best policy, if they were meant to do it & didn't, well - you've just asked that they keep their commitment.

Hope its a while before the wallet gets opened again.

paul

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.