Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just joined this forum after our mechanic has spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure out why my Megane suddenly started to smell like burning electrics and died on me. This also happened a couple of years ago, soon after I bought it from a second-hand car place. The owner, a mechanic, took it back but couldn´t diagnose the problem. In the meantime, it somehow fixed itself!
This time, the problem surfaced again without warning: a rather overwhelming burning smell inside the car, lots of dash warning lights on, and it just wouldn´t start anymore.
Our mechanic in town has tried replacing something called the ¨placa¨ - we´re in Spain and I don´t know the word in English, but I think it has to do with microchip technology. Anyway, replacing it and reseting the code did nothing, so he was then going to ask the electrician to look at it.
I´m getting desperate here...does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks in advance,
Charlie (Eliz.) Holtermann
 

·
Let's be carefull out there
Joined
·
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum, It definately sounds as if something has shorted out. There are control boxes in the engine bay the main one being the ECU this may be what was replaced, however it sounds more like a live cable has rubbed on body work and shorted, perhaps around the immobiliser control unit as this has been reported a few times on Clios.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top