Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Further to my recent post about the Espace smoking at about 50mph, I've got the car back from my bro now and haven't haven't really had a chance to check anything (to be honest, I wouldn't even know where to begin).

The new twist, however, is that along with smoking it is now also very jerky - almost like it is misfiring (but thats not possible on a diesel is it?). The jerkiness starts when trying to speed up, almost at the point when the turbo should cut in. Then it starts jerking (kangarooing?) and there is a definite loss of power. It doesn't smoke during normal driving, smokes when putting your foot down (like all diesels do) but smoke pretty bad at 50mp (like old trains!)

I really need to sort this out as soon as possible, preferably this weekend so any advice appreciated:confused:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
did you check around the turbo for any leaking pipes?:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope:d . Thing is, I'm not too sure what is what on a diesel. I think I know what the turbo looks like... mounted on the side (passenger) near the back of the engine? How many pipes etc should there be?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
there will be a large woven pipe coming from your air filter ino your turbo then out the other side and over to your intercooler (radiator behind the drivers headlight )then from there to the inlet manifold check these are all these are all secured properly also no holes /leaks .check the inlet under the air filter isnt obstructed (you will be supprised how much suction there is and how far it will pull a droped wrag like a bloody dyson )check the pipe from the inlet manifold to the boost gague is secure and leak free if this dont help check air filter is clean (change it ) if that fails go see bank manager about a loan for a new turbo mate !
good luck
let us know how you get on !

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks peanut.

Ok, I've cast my expert eye :)rofl: ) over things and it seems as follows:

The large woven pipe running from the top right of the engine bay down towards the left of the engine bay (bottom) looks pretty secure and from what I could tell there weren't no splits.. I opened the top connector where it connects to the plastic pipe and it was oily inside.

The other woven pipe also 'seems' ok.

A few things that I noticed though were that:

1) All connectors were pretty greasy / soothy at the joints (do they need further tightening?)

2) There was a lot of wet sludge at the bottom of the radiator and there was also some splattering on the radiator itself (the engine-facing face)

3) I pumped the diesel pump and it wouldn't go 'hard' like its supposed to when there is no air in there. Couldmthis simply be a fueling problem / air getting into the diesel?

I'm not sure what I'm talking about really but might be something for someone else to go on.

It's booked in for a quick diagnostic in the morning as a favour but if nothing is found I will book it in for a proepr diagnostics but please feel free to give me further advbice :d (I'm putting on a brave face here - my bank manager don't like me!)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A Small Update:

I was trying to clean the EGR valve, but having dismantled a few pipes, I couldn't find the EGR valve :crazy: .

So, I put everything back together but here's what I discovered.....

There's a pipe that carries diesel from the diesel filter. This pipe is not routed properly and therefore has sharp bends / creases in it. I've tried to straighten it out but being rubber, it seems to have memorised its position.

Anyway, a bit further down this pipe, there's a scetion of see-through piping from which I can see there is quite a bit of air bubbes in the diesel.

Working on the assumption that too much air (i.e. as a result of holes in the intake) and lack of matching fuel causes black smoke (thats what I understand), I am now inclined to believe that as the intake pipes 'seem' ok (i.e. the right amount of air is being taken in), there is fuel restriction (i.e. not enough diesel being allowed in) due to the kinks in the pipe or even faulty pressure (lack of).

So, I'm concluding:

1) either the diesel pump is faulty (fuel pressure?);

or

2) there is air getting into the diesel from somewhere causing jerking due to fuel starvation(where??????)

I've pumped the air using that plunger thingy on top of the diesel filter, took it for a drive and there was no jerkiness or any excessive smoke. Although I'm not convinced I've fixed it, I feel it may have a part to play.

Any help on how I could check the diesel pump (where is it as well) or where air could be geitting into the diesel would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
HI Tazz - From what you say it looks like the filter head is drawing air into the system and diesels don't like air in the fuel line (makes them misfire, hard to start, etc). Has your filter head got a big black button primer on top - if so there are two possibilities - either the diaphram has gone or the non-returm valeves have got dirt behind them - also when was the filter last changed or drained. If its the diaphram you'd be best getting a new filter head and if the valves -see if they will come out and get them cleaned - in all honesty a new filter head is the easiest way out.
Keep us posted
P.S. It would also be worthwwhile renewing the damaged pipes. Diesels are weird they can draw air in through very small holes whilst not showing any leaks.:)

·
Premium Member
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks madnoel.

Yes, there is a black primer thingy on top of the filter and if I remember correctly, it used to go hard after a few pumps, but it doesn't go hard any more... you can keep pressing it for ever and it's the same.

The rubber pipe that is coming off the filter is attacted to a 'bolt' type attachment which has had a few bubbles around it, but this was back when the filter was changed so I assumed it was a spillage from the changeover (was changed about 5 months ago).

Where is the return valve located? Also, is a new filter head expensive (I'm assuming it is) or is it serviceable?

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Tazz - yeh the button should go hard or really firm when pressed 3 -7 times. There is an inlet and outlet pipe and it is essential neither connections leak - either by letting fuel out or drawing air in. Depending on which type of filter head is fitted - some have removable valves which can be cleaned. If you disconnect both pipes see if there is a nut connection still attached to the filter head - if you screw these out the valve/s are located behind them - you'll need take the filter head off the car to do it correctly. This type of filter head was fitted to many Renaults and Puegots and is notorious for the diaphram failing. Some motor factors supply non-original ones which are much cheaper than renault. The other option is to try a scrappy but the filter heads tend to deteriorate whilst lying unused.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts