Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ok got myself USB freeview for the Laptop for when we are away with the caravan, iam having trouble finding channels i know its not the aerial because its working in the normal tv beside me and iam unsure of wave length or frequency i know we will be different all over the uk but i slit bit of help would go along way cheers Donald.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi ok got myself USB freeview for the Laptop for when we are away with the caravan, iam having trouble finding channels i know its not the aerial because its working in the normal tv beside me and iam unsure of wave length or frequency i know we will be different all over the uk but i slit bit of help would go along way cheers Donald.
Is your aerial horizontally or vertically polarised? If this doesn't make sense, then do the sticky-out bits on the main horizontal body of the antenna go side to side or up and down?

Vertical polarisation tends to be used for repeater transmitters. These fill in black spots from the main (usually horizontal) transmitters. If you're on a repeater, then there's a possibility that they haven't started broadcasting the digital multiplexes on it yet. I suppose it's still possible that even some of the main transmitters don't carry the freeview multiplexes yet.

You need a pretty good signal to get watchable freeview, but unless the analogue picture is atrocious or you're on a non-freeview transmitter, I'd expect the freeview receiver to at least find a few channels. They may suffer from picture break-up and freezing if the signal is poor, but you should at least get them listed on the programme guide.

Amplifiers can muck up the freeview signal too, so if you haven't got a straight feed from the aerial, then that might be part of your problem. If you need an amplifier, then a masthead one is preferable for freeview, as it's amplifying the signal at its purest, before noise gets a chance to get into the system.

I take it you're doing this at home from the roof aerial. Forget the little stick aerial that came with the card. These are practically useless for analogue and completely useless for digital.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your aerial horizontally or vertically polarised? If this doesn't make sense, then do the sticky-out bits on the main horizontal body of the antenna go side to side or up and down?

Vertical polarisation tends to be used for repeater transmitters. These fill in black spots from the main (usually horizontal) transmitters. If you're on a repeater, then there's a possibility that they haven't started broadcasting the digital multiplexes on it yet. I suppose it's still possible that even some of the main transmitters don't carry the freeview multiplexes yet.

You need a pretty good signal to get watchable freeview, but unless the analogue picture is atrocious or you're on a non-freeview transmitter, I'd expect the freeview receiver to at least find a few channels. They may suffer from picture break-up and freezing if the signal is poor, but you should at least get them listed on the programme guide.

Amplifiers can muck up the freeview signal too, so if you haven't got a straight feed from the aerial, then that might be part of your problem. If you need an amplifier, then a masthead one is preferable for freeview, as it's amplifying the signal at its purest, before noise gets a chance to get into the system.

I take it you're doing this at home from the roof aerial. Forget the little stick aerial that came with the card. These are practically useless for analogue and completely useless for digital.
Hi thanks mate the aerial that i was using was the little one provided and iam now using a digital one 240v its about 30%part way through doing a auto search and still nothing i think your right if i was to put it to the big house aerial it will work or even the big aerial on the van well i hope so i will keep you posted cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi thanks mate the aerial that i was using was the little one provided and iam now using a digital one 240v its about 30%part way through doing a auto search and still nothing i think your right if i was to put it to the big house aerial it will work or even the big aerial on the van well i hope so i will keep you posted cheers Donald
Hiya Donald!

Don't expect to get a freeview signal off the silly Status flying saucer that you have on the roof (if that's what you've got.) Omnidirectional aerials are next to useless for freeview. You need a good directional one.

I bought one of these a while back, and I'm made up with it.

Maplin > Megaboost Digital TV Aerial Kit

Our usual site has loads of caravans with the huge, complex looking aerials to get freeview, yet this invariably gets most of the channels (all the ones we'd want to watch) without any hassle.

It does require 240v for the masthead amplifier, though I'm sure you could either get a 12v amp or run it through an inverter if you use sites that don't have electric hook-up.

Okay, so it probably costs more than your freeview stick, but if it works, it's worth it :d

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hiya Donald!

Don't expect to get a freeview signal off the silly Status flying saucer that you have on the roof (if that's what you've got.) Omnidirectional aerials are next to useless for freeview. You need a good directional one.

I bought one of these a while back, and I'm made up with it.

Maplin > Megaboost Digital TV Aerial Kit

Our usual site has loads of caravans with the huge, complex looking aerials to get freeview, yet this invariably gets most of the channels (all the ones we'd want to watch) without any hassle.

It does require 240v for the masthead amplifier, though I'm sure you could either get a 12v amp or run it through an inverter if you use sites that don't have electric hook-up.

Okay, so it probably costs more than your freeview stick, but if it works, it's worth it :d
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: No i do not have a flying saucer on the roof i have a home made one that is great with the freeview box that wee are using at the minute so iam hoping it will work this usb freeview, i made it with three 4 foot poles, they are all different sizes that go inside one another and it gets me twice as high as the van:d i was watching a boy the other week with one at ground level:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: had me stitches,i will try it in the big house aerial tomorrow i will keep you posted cheers

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right iam using the aerial i us for the freeview in my bedroom and it works fine on that tv but if i run a auto search on the laptop using it its finding nothing at all but i will try the house aerial in the morning to see how i get on there i feel this is going to to be a kitchen drawer job peice of kit:rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Right iam using the aerial i us for the freeview in my bedroom and it works fine on that tv but if i run a auto search on the laptop using it its finding nothing at all but i will try the house aerial in the morning to see how i get on there i feel this is going to to be a kitchen drawer job peice of kit:rofl:
It's certainly sounding like you've bought a lemon. Is there a chance you can get it replaced or a refund?

I bought one for my Laptop ages ago - I think I've used it about half a dozen times. Recently, we bought a reasonable sized (10.4" I think) LCD TV and DVD player from Maplin that we use in the caravan and that I take away with me when working away (when I remember.) It's great, and will play MPEG4 AVI (DivX) files off DVD or an external USB hard drive too.

Maplin have stopped selling them, but I've noticed that there are lots of portable DVD players turning up on eBay with built-in freeview and USB for not too silly money. The down-side is that they have slightly smaller screens to the one I've got, but they may well be worth considering. If funds will stretch, then this one with the 9.2" screen looks pretty funky. It'll mean you can leave the big telly at home too :d

eBay.co.uk: 9.2" Portable DVD Player +Divx+freeview digital TV+Game (item 230143029950 end time 15-Jun-07 12:04:58 BST)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's certainly sounding like you've bought a lemon. Is there a chance you can get it replaced or a refund?

I bought one for my Laptop ages ago - I think I've used it about half a dozen times. Recently, we bought a reasonable sized (10.4" I think) LCD TV and DVD player from Maplin that we use in the caravan and that I take away with me when working away (when I remember.) It's great, and will play MPEG4 AVI (DivX) files off DVD or an external USB hard drive too.

Maplin have stopped selling them, but I've noticed that there are lots of portable DVD players turning up on eBay with built-in freeview and USB for not too silly money. The down-side is that they have slightly smaller screens to the one I've got, but they may well be worth considering. If funds will stretch, then this one with the 9.2" screen looks pretty funky. It'll mean you can leave the big telly at home too :d

eBay.co.uk: 9.2" Portable DVD Player +Divx+freeview digital TV+Game (item 230143029950 end time 15-Jun-07 12:04:58 BST)
Nothing at all :steam: :crazy: its going back this morning and i will try another,thanks for the link i have already got a twin in car dvd player that i use when away with the van the only thing is it does not have usb connections its scart leads, i think i would be chancing my luck if i asked the other half for more money:d i now what she would say so i dont think i will bother:( thanks again cheers all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hip hip hooray its working i opened up the band width and hay presto 63 channels and thats with the aerial in the bed room so do not think that i will have a problem when iam away so iam well pleased,so thanks Horatio for your support and help as always:) ;)

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No worries mate, that's what we're all here for and I know you'd do the same for me if the roles were reversed :d

Glad you got it sorted!
:d yes ive got news 24 and the parlement channel great as we speak what else would you want:d :d

ORDER ORDER IN THE HOUSE:rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts