Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had problems with the sockets in the older style Scenic? Or any other Renaults?

Almost everything I plug into the one in front and the one in the back seems to require some fiddling to get it to work, some never do. The contacts seem pretty shoddy.

I've tried my iPaq charger, Samsung phone charger, and power for Belkin FM transmitter. All crap. :(

Any useful tips/tricks from anyone?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
i think the engine needs to be running for these to work

regards
nigel

·
Premium Member
13,522 Posts
I have a problem with some accessories in my 06 scenic, as you say you have to fiddle with them.

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hi if your using it alot and as other users have said you need to play about with it i would go and buy a newer type one or you can buy a universal one from Halfords but you may have to make the hole a different size for it to fit,i have no problems with my 2002 Espace all the best Donald

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Don't blame Renault. I expect the majority of vehicles that I have owned (I have had quite a few in 43 years of driving)have had the same problem.
The sockets are designed for Cigar Lighters with the +ve contact being the element and the -ve terminal the 360' collar.
The +ve terminal contact can become contaminated with the residues of tobacco and cause a poor connection.
The shape of some plugs is not conducive to good contacts.
Additionally the -ve contacts of most 'plugs' are usually just metal spring strips and can sometimes make poor contact.
Also, as previously stated, most do only operate with the ignition on to save the battery in the event of a problem.
If your cigar lighter operates correctly then obviously it is the contacts of the plugs as stated.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
I have 1994 Clio and had the same problems with the cigarette lighter outlet. After a lot of trial and error I found it wasn't a socket problem but a very poor design of plug supplied with my mobile phone. After all the cigarette lighter socket was never designed for charging and was only intended for occasional use not prolonged spells as requited by many chargers. Considering the need of todays driver I am surprised manufacturers haven't come up with a better solution.:)

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
I had a similar prob with my Scenic - it was popping fuses when anything was connected. I replaced several fuses before I gave up.
In the end, when I ran the power lead for my amp, I supplied a separate feed from a distribution block to a new cigarette lighter I fitted in the back. Now I have no probs at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts