Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

something that totally got me paranoid over last few months and might just completely fail when I truly need the car...:

My 2000 Clio Alize 1.4l 16v on a totally random basis refuses to start up. The battery is fine, starter is turning over and over but no ignition. When it really turns on the charm, needs few minutes of several long or very long attempts to start the engine until finally (phew...) it does. Then it all works fine and the problem can re-occur after a short stop, or overnight, regardless of weather, temperature, cold or hot start of engine, how long it sat wherever.

Imagining a typical rush to e.g. airport and a total failure to start engine, took it to local independent Renault place. They ran a diagnostic (whatever it was for 40 pounds) and concluded that everything is perfect.

It has been doing it ever since, not sure whether it is getting worse or not (it really is random and sometimes goes for days without a hickup, then can have many days of more often than not start-up problems).

Now it drives me up the wall as it really feels like something that one vital moment will simply give up the ghost...

Any ideas? would be very grateful as it could be all sorts of problems but closest descriptions I found are related to TDC sensor... And I hope that anything truly bad (contacts, electronics etc.) would have been discovered during the whatever diagnostic they ran at the Renault place.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this -

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Cliopuzzles.

I'm sure a Member will be able to assist you shortly with your post.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi cliopuzzles:) and welcome to the forums.
what your describing does sound as if the Top Dead Centre sensor is giving you some problems, its very common across the Renault range as you've probably read.(sometimes lol9 out of 10 times the Top Dead Centre sensor does not log a fault)therefor techs say car is ok
you can remove them and clean them i have heard that this works sometimes but never done it myself to be honest.

allso check all the basics aswell, when was its last service, plugs,air filter ect can all lead to starting problems over time
one other thing is a dirty throttle body can do this aswell.

hope this helps and good luck!:)

Reactions: chris m

·
Registered
76 Posts
I completely agree. I was having very similar problems to your self and the 1st time i took it to the garage they failed to pick up any fault on the TDC sensor. 2nd time it did. I replaced the TDC sensor and car works fine. I really cant stress enough to start with this on a Clio as its one of the most common faults. Even if its not you wont loose much as the TDC sesnor costs about £17 new.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

thanks for the tips, will definitely go for a replacement as it does sound like a very, very likely fault. Its random nature really drives one potty :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similiar problem this week, turns out it was the battery in the Key, couldnt understand why my wife wasnt seeing the problem, reason was we were using different keys...sounds weird right ? but its a fact

1 - 7 of 7 Posts