Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been having issues with my 2008 1.2 8V Clio Campus (D7F 726) that’s idling high. I’ve determined that it’s the ICV, but to double check have been looking through the whole system to see if there are any vacuum leaks.

I stumbled across a line that runs all the way down to the front drivers side headlight (left hand side when looking at the car from the front).didn’t get a chance to take a photo of it, but found a video online that shows the headlight being taken off and it shows what I’m referring to (albeit I think the Clio in the video is different to mine… D4F?)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive design

Either way, anyone have any idea what this is? It was found “unplugged” from its location and wondering if this has anything to do with rough idling.

FYI, engine check light on. Local garage said could be Lambda or Cat, but passed MOT emissions (although, could have barely passed!)

Cheers in advance. Matt.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Sure it is a vacuum pipe?
Not saying it isn't, just seems a bit strange in this day and age..... 30 to 40 years back I would not have batted an eyelid, back then one car I owned had vac powered heater control flaps and we had only just moved on from vac powered wipers.

Anyway, if it is an open vacuum pipe it will likely be causing havoc with idle and air/fuel mix in general.... if you cannot find where it should fit, try plugging it and see if it improves situation

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I was pretty certain this is a vacuum line, I pulled this line from the intake manifold and revs were jumping all over the place!

I’ve done a little bit more since posting this. Pretty confident that this is the Vacuum Control Purge Valve (Solenoid Valve).

My limited research suggests this is part of the EVAP system. I understand if this solenoid had failed open then this could cause high idling (i.e. vacuum leak). I don’t think this is the culprit to my high idle as this didn’t appear to drawing in an air from the open end, so I’m gonna place my bets on it being the ICV. This is probably a red herring to my high idling problem. Could be the reason for my check engine light though if this effects emissions..? (Btw check engine light had been on for a good 4 months before this idling issue).

I have removed the throttle body and given it a clean to remove as much gunk as possible from the bypass and refitted it. It did drop my revs down to 750 RPM and all seemed good. However after 2 days or so revs slowly creeped back up. This at least tells me that there’s no vacuum leak if the revs returned to normal, even if only for a couple of days.

Revs are sat around 1200 now and sometimes wanders up to 2000

I’ve ordered a second hand throttle body to confirm if the ICV was the issue. Can’t seem to replace the ICV from the D7F 726 throttle body it seems, or at least not easily - not simply bolted to the throttle body!

Will give an update over the next week or so for anyone else who may stumble across this.

Thanks again Dancingdad!

Matt

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
23,233 Posts
Like you say, erratic idle that has only just started is unlikely to be connected to check engine light that has been on for 4 months.
But stranger things have happened, have you done any sort of scan to find out why the light?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I scanned the car almost as soon as the engine light came on at my local garage. They did give me a list of codes that were standing and for the life of me I don’t know where that’s gone! But I remember an emissions code being found - high emissions or emissions breach basically. Seatbelt pre-tension was another and a couple that didn’t scream out to me. I cleared the lot and after another 50 miles or so the light came back on, should really get another scan to see what the standing codes are now…

Without digging deeper the garage suggested it could be Lamda or Cat. It passed MOT so wasn’t too concerned about it at the time.

Anyway, a bit of an update today which was quite interesting. I fitted a second hand throttle body to see if my suspicion of a faulty ICV was right. However, after refitting and firing her up I was idling high around 1200 again. Gutting!

So I had another look at the vacuum lines and chased one to the rear of the engine, looks like it goes to the brake master cylinder. Photo below (not my engine bay FYI).
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive air manifold

Could have been my imagination but I was sure I could hear a hissing from this general direction, so thought to look a bit closer.

I disconnected this line from the intake and as expected, engine revs increased. I took my finger and plugged the manifold up for about 5-10 seconds or so and I could hear the engine revs settling.

Reconnected everything, shut the engine off and started her up again. Idling fine, 750 RPM bang on.

Can’t say I’m convinced that this is the end of it but at least my MPG is back to high 30’s!

Have you seen anything like this before? Brake master cylinder need looking at? Brakes are quite spongey but have always been that way..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts