Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,I am thinking of selling my Clio,is it worth going to the expense of having a full valet ie upholstery and engine clean as well as body in the hope of getting a better price.
I am looking to replace it with a 5 door model.
MegP

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi megpotts - depends on how dirty it is don't it. A valet might help sell it quicker but it does'nt mean you'll get any more for it - the country has forecourts full of nice valetted cars and they still can't sell them:rofl:

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
If you are after top price potential buyers will expect a spotless car. If it`s bottom end price I wouldn`t bother.
(congrats Madnoel10 on being "Poster Boy of the Month")

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Potts - how many miles on the clock - many buyers are put off by high mileage no matter how clean the car. A good service record is probably worth more than a good valet.:)

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Yep I would agree here, Also selling privately it makes a big difference if car clean and well presented Trading into a Dealers not so much as most only offer bottom book and car just gets a cursory check over.

Condition and all the paper work correct, taxed tested are the big points in selling privately, But if car is full of dings and torn tatty interiors why bother with an extra expense of valeting, Also you can give it a quick hoover and spruce up yourself.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Have the car cleaned but not the engine bay.

Power washing around the engine can lead to allsorts of problems,and if I go and look at a car,either for myself or someone else,I always prefer to see a dirty engine as it comes across as being more 'honest'.....if you know what I mean.If the engine is spotless,it looks like you have something to hide(oil leak etc).Engines don't work any better if they are clean,so why bother.......:eek:

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Excellent point Lag - better the devil you know and all that. As a matter of principle I have never used a power washer on any of my vehicles. Cars are generally designed to keep out rain water at normal atmosperic pressure (15 p.s.i.) not the pressures of power washers which operate at 150 p.s.i. or more. I have seen some serious electrical and paintwork damage over the years.:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
make sure its tidy and clean

A thoroughly clean and tidy interior makes all the difference to private buyers, as do clean windows and exterior. It makes the difference between them becoming more interested or simply walking away

1 - 9 of 9 Posts