Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Megane III 2011 Grandtour 1,6V Bifuel
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have oil in my spark plug wells, only two tho and the plugs is brown stained. Same with two of the ignition coils, oil on them too (coil on plugs)
And also there is some oil in the engine compartment around the inlet manifold so i want to replace the valve cover gasket.
I own a Haynes manual for my car so i feel fairly confident doing this, but i want to ask you some questions first.

Do i have to remove the timing belt for this job? Inlet/intake manifold has to be removed.
And also, the gasket in our store is tube based silicone? It´s not a traditional gasket, is it safe to use this? Looked on different stores and everyone sells this to my car.

I´m going to replace the valve cover gasket, ignition coils and spark plugs. And if the timing belt has to be removed i change it out along with the waterpump, due in 2 years anyway.

My car is a Megane 3 Grandtour 2011 1,6V Bifuel with the K4M866 engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this link. I have read that and some other similar threads. I must say i don't feel comfortable with taking off the cambelt. Thought it was a gasket under the inlet manifold but apperantely it's called rocker cover/gasket and it's deeper down.
We'll see if i do this job or not. I will start by remove the inlet manifold and clean under there.

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4M761, DPO
4,828 Posts
Yeah - try the simple things (sealing all the bolts and the cover bolted to the top of the rocker cover) I described there first - most of the time that sorts the problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - try the simple things (sealing all the bolts and the cover bolted to the top of the rocker cover) I described there first - most of the time that sorts the problem
Okay thanks! What should i use to seal with? Loctite 518?
So i seal all of the bolts that holds the intake manifold to the rocker cover and the cover itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
507 Posts
Doesn't the Megane MK3 have a rocker cover rubber gasket that you can just replace? @LvR

@Megane3Flex, the inlet manifold should have a metal gasket plate. If your car has a plastic inlet manifold. Then your inlet ports should have changeable rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't the Megane MK3 have a rocker cover rubber gasket that you can just replace? @LvR

@Megane3Flex, the inlet manifold should have a metal gasket plate. If your car has a plastic inlet manifold. Then your inlet ports should have changeable rubber gaskets.
My car has a plastic inlet manifold yes. I will take the inlet manifold out later today and see what type of gaskets i need so i can buy them. I'm also gonna clean the surface.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts

Whatever it has, in order to replace the rocker cover gasket involves removing the rocker cover .................... and THAT involves removal of the cambelt and pulley - see that linked thread

"the inlet manifold should have a metal gasket plate." - don't know what you are saying there - there are only 4 oval o-rings involved - once each per runner

How about using brake cleaner or soapy water to degrease and clean the mating surface of the rocker cover and pcv/breather cover? Can i take the pcv/breather cover out and clean or do i disturb the camcover?
Yes - the PCV/breather cover only bolts onto the top of the rocker cover with short bolts - sure take it off and clean. There is no "gasket" or "seal" on that - just the one rubber grommet seal between THAT cover and the plastic intake manifold

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever it has, in order to replace the rocker cover gasket involves removing the rocker cover .................... and THAT involves removal of the cambelt and pulley - see that linked thread

"the inlet manifold should have a metal gasket plate." - don't know what you are saying there - there are only 4 oval o-rings involved - once each per runner

Yes - the PCV/breather cover only bolts onto the top of the rocker cover with short bolts - sure take it off and clean. There is no "gasket" or "seal" on that - just the one rubber grommet seal between THAT cover and the plastic intake manifold
This is how it looks when i took the inlet manifold out. So much oil on here. I have cleaned it out now, most of it anyway because it was getting dark. But i clean even more when the gaskets come. Oil was pouring out from the runners in the inlet manifold, got it on my shoe haha. Does this looks bad to you all, or does it concerns you?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Nothing major that IMO - seen them way worse.

To me it looks like the PCV/breather grommet is doing the most soiling in combination with sump compression, so make sure you replace that rubber, do only the sealing of all the bolts on the rocker cover and then clean out and reseal the breather and its cover together with the bolts on that too.

Make sure you don't drop stuff into those open intake-runners..................

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing major that IMO - seen them way worse.

To me it looks like the PCV/breather grommet is doing the most soiling in combination with sump compression, so make sure you replace that rubber, do only the sealing of all the bolts on the rocker cover and then clean out and reseal the breather and its cover together with the bolts on that too.

Make sure you don't drop stuff into those open intake-runners..................
Good to hear that. It was old oil on there, thick layer so nothing new.

Okay so i will replace the rubber grommet on the PCV/breather.
What do you mean by do only the sealing of all the bolts on the rocker cover? Again, what do i use to seal with?

No i used some aluminum foil carefully in the runners to prevent anything from falling down there.
Posted some pictures.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
What do you mean by do only the sealing of all the bolts on the rocker cover? Again, what do i use to seal with?
That is why I posted the link to the thread - every question you have was already answered there and detail photos posted too.

Use good quality RTV from any manufacturer - I used Wurth but its only because I have always had good experiences with that

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is why I posted the link to the thread - every question you have was already answered there and detail photos posted too.

Use good quality RTV from any manufacturer - I used Wurth but its only because I have always had good experiences with that
RTV under the bolt head and not on the threads.
One bolt at the time on the rocker cover to not disturb the camcover. And remove the PCV cover and clean and reseal the whole thing. Is this correct? If i tackle one bolt at the time on the rocker cover, then there is no chance at all i can mess up with the camcover or cambelt?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts