Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
My timing belt broke while I was doing about 50mph. There were no loud noises and it took me a while to realize I had no engine power. My only concern now is. Did the valves get damaged, Roughly how much would it cost to repair if there was valve damage and if there was no valve damage?
I would appreciate any help with this issue as I'm currently paying a fortune for a hire car and I would like to know if it's worth fixing considering the car is only worth around £700..
I would be very grateful for any advise regarding this issue.
Thank you

G

·
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I assume your car is the 1.6 Megane you say is in your garage.

Valve damage is guaranteed on these engine when the engine timing is lost how many have been bent will depend on the positions of the cam shafts when the belt snapped.

If you have the skill to do it yourself you will probably be able to repair the engine using non OEM parts for under £200 www.trechii.com/ will sell you a cylinder head repair kit and a cam belt kit though they don't list every thing on the web site they sell.

To have the car repaired at a garage will cost you £700 + IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,

I've just bought my car from somebody who had this happen to it. I cannot advise on what happened after the break, however the seller told me that 4 valves were broken and some pins bent along with a few other bits n bobs. They decided to practically have the whole engine rebuilt (as opposed to just fixing what needed to be fixed) and cost £700.

I don't mean to put a downer on this post, but I think as a maximum you're looking at around the same amount, depends how many valves if any were damaged I guess. I'm no expert so don't take my sayings as gospel, just trying to help. :)

Good luck in fixing your car!

G

·
I have just repaired a 1.4 K4J with 8 bent valves in a 2003 1.4 Scenic which uses the same cylinder head as the 1.6 K4M as fitted in the above full set of 16 valves, Head bolts, Head gasket set and cam belt kit cost me £137 and then there was the cost of an oil change new filters and spark plugs.

The girl I bought the Scenic it off was quoted £900 by a garage to repair it :eek:

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have just repaired a 1.4 K4J with 8 bent valves in a 2003 1.4 Scenic which uses the same cylinder head as the 1.6 K4M as fitted in the above full set of 16 valves, Head bolts, Head gasket set and cam belt kit cost me £137 and then there was the cost of an oil change new filters and spark plugs.
I agree, provided the camshafts aren't damaged you should get away with a new set of valves, gaskets, seals and belt kit. Personally I would also change the aux belt and water pump. However you should note that this task will require some ESSENTIAL special tools which you may not already have, and a workshop area where you can do the work and keep everything clean. These engines are complete pigs to work on.

However I did one for the first time with general engineering / mechanical knowledge and Recycled Scenic and others metaphorically looking over my shoulder, so I'm not trying to put you off, just be aware of what you are getting into.

Marv

EDIT : You should also consider that if you fit a 2nd hand engine you will have no idea as to it's condition. By doing this task, if all goes well, you will have very good knowledge of what work has been done and when.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.